How can I open Quicken to the last saved file - (edit - resolved)

Options
evert54
evert54 Member ✭✭

Windows 10 crashed and was restored on Dec 14, 2023. Now every time I reboot the PC I have to find and restore the last saved Quicken file. How do I reset it so the last saved file opens automatically like it did before the crash? I'm using Quicken Classic Premier.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Glad to hear your issue is resolved.

And thanks for posting this. Too often the messaging about issues with Cloud storage services focuses on just OneDrive. OneDrive can certainly be an issue and is perhaps the most commonly used Cloud storage service but many of the issues identified relative to Quicken are applicable to just about any Cloud storage service. Thanks for reminding us of that.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

You probably have your data file in a OneDrive path. Move it out of the OneDrive path.

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Besides moving out of one drive, you can of course create a shortcut on your desktop to your quicken file. I have always worked this way as it guarantees I am always working with the correct file. Do that via windows explorer. As I recall you right click on the quicken file, and choose accordingly.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• evert54
    evert54 Member ✭✭
    Options

Unfortunately, I don't use one drive. I manually back it up to a C drive file

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Using Windows File Explorer locate the folder containing your Quicken data files.
    Click on the View tab. Be sure to have a checkmark on "file name extensions".

My question is: Is there a space at the end of the file name portion, before the ".QDF"? See example "test_.qdf"
    (the underscore here represents the extra space. Without File Explorer showing file name extensions in the file name field you can't see this extra space)

If there is an extra space at the end of the file name: Quicken can't process this situation. Rename the file to remove the extra blank, e.g., "test.qdf".
    After renaming double-click on the file name to start Quicken and make it use this file.
    Quicken will remember this file name as part of the File Menu, as a file numbered 1. Files 2 thru 4, if present, are names of previously used files.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023
    Options

when you have Quicken open, click on the FILE menu -
    what 4 files are listed at the bottom of the screen ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• evert54
    evert54 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for all your suggestions. The problem has been solved. When I restored the backup files from Carbonite it took a couple of days to complete and replace the files on the C: drive.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Glad to hear your issue is resolved.

And thanks for posting this. Too often the messaging about issues with Cloud storage services focuses on just OneDrive. OneDrive can certainly be an issue and is perhaps the most commonly used Cloud storage service but many of the issues identified relative to Quicken are applicable to just about any Cloud storage service. Thanks for reminding us of that.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.