Reinvested Dividends do not appear on my Income report

DWally
DWally Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I use the Quicken spending report to get a quick summary of my ytd spending AND income. I just realized that dividend transactions that I download from Vanguard appear in the register as “reinvested dividends” but they do not appear on the income summary report. Why is that? They definitely are taxable income. Do I need to record them differently than just using the “accept all” default after the download.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

Exactly what report are you running?

The built in Spending > Income and Expense by Category and Banking > Banking Summary reports only include Banking accounts by default. If you want to include income in an investing account, you must click on the gear at the top right of the report to customize it and include that account.

QWin Premier subscription
  • DWally
    DWally Quicken Windows Subscription Member

I’m clicking on the “spending” tab that appears on the top menu 2nd option after “home”. It lets you select spending or income. I have included “all” accounts and the brokerage account in question is “checkmarked”. I think the issue is the reinvested dividends transaction does not have a category option to show it as dividend income.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023

OK, I see the issue. The Spending tab lets you select investing accounts and it shows spending from those accounts but for some reason the investing Income Categories such as _DivInc and _IntInc are not included when they are entered as Income or Reinvest transactions and there is no way to customize the Categories in the Spending view.

As an alternative, you can click on the Reports button at the top right of the Spending tab and select Income and Expense by Category or another of the Spending reports. Click on the gear at the top right of the report and on the Accounts tab, select All accounts or just those you want to include.

For more information see this discussion, now closed.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.