Q crashes when entering a withdrawal in an investment account

Options
LMillsap1
LMillsap1 Member ✭✭

Each month when I reconcile my statement, I manually enter the dividends in chronological order from the statement. These show in the ledger inter-mixed with any previously entered trades in date order. Every quarter there is also a management fee that I then enter after I've entered the dividends (because the fee happens to show up on the statement after the dividends). The fee is dated earlier in the month and I enter it as a Withdrawal (I use the Edit button on the register line in order to get to the Withdrawal transaction type). The Payee, Category, and Memo are populated from the Memorized Payee list. I click the Enter/Done button and am returned to the register with the new withdrawal transaction positioned in chronological order among the previously entered trans and dividends with the Save Changes form showing. I click Yes to save the changes, then the "fun" begins. After a few seconds of no activity, the Quicken Crash Report pops up (which it did as I was writing this). When I re-launch Q, all the trans appear to be there and in the correct order.

Q does not crash if the Withdrawal Management Fee transaction is entered BEFORE the dividends are entered (this is my workaround). I've added notes to a few of the crash reports (I could add more detail if the report would allow more characters in the comment box).

Any idea on what is going on?

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can only suggest that you contact Q Support, via the link at the top of this page.

Your scenario is too weird for me to even begin to contemplate WHY.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If I were seeing this, as an alternate workaround I would try entering the Withdrawal dated at the end. See if that crashed. Then edit the date to where it belongs. See if that caused the crash. I might also try that same backdated sequence with a Div transaction. In other words, is it the withdrawal entry, the prior dating, or the combination that becomes the problem.

Thanks you for the clear and complete description. I am not in a position currently to cross check that behavior, but will when I get a chance.

This discussion has been closed.