Creating New Account and Categories

Options
toycept
toycept Member ✭✭

I'd like to create a new checking register and a new savings register in Quicken. I'd like these two accounts to be totally separated from my existing Quicken accounts, and most importantly, I'd like to create new categories for these new accounts. I'd like to NOT have my current categories be a part of these new categories and I'd not like to see the current categories at all. For instance if I currently have a category titled ENTERTAINMENT, in these new accounts I'd also like to have a category titled ENTERTAINMENT, but not have anything to do with the existing Entertainment category. Is there a way to do that without deleting my current accounts and starting over?

I do not use any online banking features.

Thank you!

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I'm not quite clear on what you're trying to accomplish. Would it work for you to create a new data file for the two new accounts? You could keep your existing data file around for reference for your other, older accounts. That would be as easy as clicking File > New and starting a new file from scratch.

If that's not what you want, then let's dig a little deeper into what you're trying to do. "For instance if I currently have a category titled ENTERTAINMENT, in these new accounts I'd also like to have a category titled ENTERTAINMENT, but not have anything to do with the existing Entertainment category." I don't understand why you want two separate Entertainment categories. You can always limit reports to just using the new accounts, so why do you need a new Entertainment category?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • toycept
    toycept Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the reply and I should have been a bit more clear in what I'm after. I would like to keep my existing data file in case I need to refer back to old data. For these new accounts I'd like to add (along with the new categories) I'd just like to keep all the new stuff separate from the current. I've got a lot of categories I no longer use and there are overlaps within the categories. I'm just trying to streamline and simplify the process by adding these new accounts and starting over, without loosing the current data. Maybe your suggestion of clicking File>New is the approach I should take, I just was unclear if that would let me create new categories without being influenced by the current categories.

thank you again for the help.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

It sounds like creating a new data file is what you want to do. When you create a new file, it has absolutely no relation to your old file (including the categories). It will have Quicken’s default categories, which you can edit however you want — delete some, add some.

Once you create a new file, you can easily switch back and forth between the old and new files using the File > Open Recent menu command, which will show the currently open file first and the other file second. Make sure you name the files so you know which is which; you can rename a file, should you want to, from the File menu as well.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • toycept
    toycept Member ✭✭
    Options

sounds like what I'm after. Thank you so much for the help. I appreciate it!

This discussion has been closed.