I can't download separate Vanguard funds into separate accounts in my Quicken anymore?

Options

I have several mutual funds at Vanguard. Each is its own account in my Quicken. With the latest release I can't download them separately anymore. This is a major inconvenience. Why would I want these all together when they are different funds? Anybody have a solution that won't require me to start all over and lose years of history?

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can't really answer your question, but if you think that it's the "release" that's at fault here then you might try reinstalling the previous version of Quicken to see if you get a different result.

I do know that Vanguard has pushed hard to get owners of its mutual funds off their "legacy" system that tracks the mutual funds and over to its "brokerage" system, and maybe that has something to do with what you're seeing here? That is, the one brokerage account now has all the individual mutual funds in the account, similar to how any brokerage account contains multiple different securities - stocks, ETFs, mutual funds, etc. ?

If somehow your mutual funds have been gathered together into a single brokerage account, then simply using the "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" action in each of your mutual fund Quicken Accounts should properly work to collect all the funds' lots, properly stated as to holding period and cost basis, into the new Quicken Account. The transactions will remain in the old individual Accounts so no history will be lost.

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's what I was going to say. Maybe you got up in the Vanguard transition from the mutual fund accounts to the Brokerage side. I don't download but I finally had to transition my funds into one brokerage account. Now I get monthly statements instead of quarterly. In Quicken I had to transfer my individual fund accounts into 1 new Brokerage account. It is making it easier to manually enter my transactions now.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• stynee
    stynee Member
    Options

Thank you both—-indeed the transition to the brokerage account is involved. I will try this solution!

• stynee
    stynee Member
    Options

I think this worked…but I have a muni bond fund that has imported the transactions into the new account, but the new account won't display the register (transactions) like I'm used to seeing them. It only displays four charts that are useless. Anyway to get back to a register like I'm used to?

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Edit the Account to see if the Account is using the "Simple" investing method as opposed to the "Complete" method where each transaction gets listed. Sometimes Quicken flips a user's preferences, for unknown reasons.

• stynee
    stynee Member
    Options

Tom- thou art a genius.

That was precisely the issue. Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.