Quicken's Investment Portfolio Report

Options

Several days ago, the logic controlling the Quicken "Investment Portfolio" report was apparently updated by a Quicken software release and the report is now essentially useless. My report today still shows the correct grand total at the bottom, but the report now lists 237 securities when the correct number is only 30 securities. I called technical support about the problem this morning.

Unfortunately, personnel at Quicken weren't very interested in resolving the issue. I was told to "work around" the issue but selecting and deselecting the securities I wanted on future reports, which is a "work around" that means the report is now essentially useless.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you referring to the Portfolio view on the Investing tab?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jaxgab
    jaxgab Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, it is found under Reports > Investing > Portfolio Value. That report is still flawed today.

• martyi
    martyi Member
    Options

Same problem on 12/29/023. Was able to revert from QW27.1.53.32 back to QW27.1.53.16 and does not have extra securities. Appears to be bug with latest update.

• jaxgab
    jaxgab Member ✭✭
    Options

The Quicken call center representative tried reverting my Quicken application to a prior version of the software, but the reversion consistently failed. Unfortunately, however, reverting your Quicken application to a prior version is another band-aid fix.

Perhaps Quicken management will prioritize a fix if enough users tell them the report is flawed.

• jaxgab
    jaxgab Member ✭✭
    Options

I have now encountered a new problem with Quicken's Investment Portfolio Report. The exact same security I currently own is being shown on the report twice. If anyone at Quicken is working to fix this flawed report, they seem to be making the problems worse.

• TomPopp
    TomPopp Member ✭✭
    Options

apparently there is some kind of new report for investments. But it doesn't work. If you ask for Portfolio Value and Cost Basis Report it gives you a list of every security you ever owned and then lists a negative value for the ones you have sold, so the total is correct. This report is worthless. There was a note that allowed me to convert to the old report format, but that seems silly. Also, I have no idea how I can revert to the new format whenever the program is finally updated to work properly.

• martyi
    martyi Member
    Options

Update 54.9 Version says

• Investment Accounts displayed inaccurate balances in Account Balance Reports.

However I downloaded that version and it still shows the same problem. So still a bug. Appears it is related to Securities for Call/Put Options from years ago. Similar to other user complaints for this bug it lists and entry for it being bought and also being sold. Balance is zero. Report is still flawed by bug

• jaxgab
    jaxgab Member ✭✭
    Options

The person in charge of Quicken's investment reports needs to be immediately fired. Here are a couple more annoying issues with Quicken's investment reports:

When you run a standard "Investment Income" report, it will automatically include all your securities. That report is pretty useless, however, since it does not include unrealized investment gains/losses. You can customize the standard Investment Income report and save the changes. You can also run a standard Portfolio Value report, but that report is also now pretty useless. You can customize the standard Portfolio Value report to fix the problems and save the changes. Issues with the standard Portfolio Value report have already been noted in this thread and still exist today (01/31/2024).

There are several issues with using these customized investment reports in Quicken, however:

1> These customized reports will not automatically include a new security that starts being traded, even though the customized report you originally saved was set to "Include all securities". That means my customized investment reports must be customized again and again (to include the new tickers that start being traded) and the changes saved on a regular basis.

2> Whenever you re-customize your customized investment reports (set new dates or set the report to include all securities), the re-customized report will no longer show "Cents (no rounding)" because for some reason Quicken will simply change/deselect the toggle button.

• Miles2012
    Miles2012 Member
    Options

This should be a very basic report and now (2/14-24) it is useless. I cannot believe that Quicken has this large a flaw and doesn't work immediately to correct it.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jaxgab - There was a new Preference added to Quicken recently that sometimes causes issues with reports. The fix has been to disable it. You might want to try doing that to see if it resolves the issue you are seeing.: Edit > Preferences > Early Access > if the boxes for Reports & Graphs Center and/or Customize Reports are checked, uncheck them > OK. Let us know if this resolves the issue for you.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• jaxgab
    jaxgab Member ✭✭
    Options

Use of non-use of the Early Access features doesn't resolve the Portfolio Value problem of repetitive securities being listed on the report. My report today (02/25/2024) still lists 254 securities when the correct number of securities is 35.

Here are a couple other Quicken report problems users might want to aware of right now:

1> The net investment income on the "Investment Performance" reports doesn't always agree the net investment income on the "Investment Income" reports. In many cases the difference is small (i.e. several dollars) but I see more sizable differences in 6 of the last 29 years (i.e. I've been using Quicken since 1995).

2> The "Net Worth" report will occasionally not reflect correct balances and seems to impact about 10% of the balances reflected.

The most perplexing thing is that the Portfolio Value has been accurate for many, many years until recently. So the Quicken reports overall seem to be getting worse, not better, at least in my opinion.

• steve87@
    steve87@ Member ✭✭
    Options

While changing this setting changed the investment reports, they are still way off. Getting an account value report should provide the same values as appears in the accounts list, unless there is a tax adjustment (for IRAs, etc.) that should be clearly displayed. For a non-IRA account the report should agree with the accounts list, the report with "include unrealized gains" turned on since the account total in the accounts list includes the unrealized capital gains. In my Quicken it is off by many thousands of dollars. I can not trust Quicken reports for anything.

Is there any way to export an investment account (or multiples) to a TSV, CSV or XLSX file so that an accurate report can be generated? Or will it require typing a zillion numbers that Quicken already has?

Quicken Classic Premier R54.16 build 27.1.54.16 running on Windows 11.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

@steve87@ - I have never heard of nor seen the issue you are describing so I'm no sure what to say at this point. But perhaps your idea of exporting the investment account might be a good place to start with troubleshooting.

Is there any way to export an investment account (or multiples) to a TSV, CSV or XLSX file so that an accurate report can be generated? Or will it require typing a zillion numbers that Quicken already has?

Yes you can export an investment account. Go to the Account Register > Ctrl+P (or you can click on Print for the file in question under the File menu) > enter a title > select the desired date range > Print > Export To > select the desired format option from the drop-down > select the Orientation > Export > select a Save To Location > enter a File Name > Save.

• steve87@
    steve87@ Member ✭✭
    Options

That will export the transaction register. I want to export the holdings so a report can be generated on the securities in the account. From the "Holdings" display there is no "print" or "export" option. However, if you go to the "Portfolio" view and select "Group By Accounts" and then "Export", it will create an Excel spreadsheet that can be used to get a valid report - or so it seems.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

I'm glad you found a means to get the information you are looking for. Although I still don't understand why the Portfolio Value or Portfolio Value & Cost Basis reports are not working correctly for you. Thanks for posting your solution here so that perhaps it will help others.

This discussion has been closed.