Customizing reports adds unwanted categories

Options
crownpointdude
crownpointdude Member ✭✭
edited March 7 in Reports (Windows)

This doesn't appear to be a new problem nor could I find any solution, so it seems it's still a bug

But since the powers that be DO seem to be fixing things these days more so than in the past, I thought I'd bring it to the forefront again and provide the results of a few experiments.

* I run the Banking Summary report
* I go to Customize→Categories and turn off all categories, which should leave a blank report
* nonetheless, about 20 categories appear in the report
* if I then go to Tags and turn off all tags, the correct blank report appears, i.e. no categories
* I then turn on some select tags and one category, a proper report appears, i.e. just my one category
* I go back to tags, turn on "Not Tagged" then a bunch of unwanted categories again appear in the report
* Now HERE is where it gets interesting!
* If I now go into categories to see if the unwanted ones that appeared are checked, I can't find them at all! Even with a search.
* I'll say it differently just to be clear : any unwanted categories that are showing up in the report are no longer showing up in the Categories screen, there is no way to check/uncheck their box
* checking/unchecking Show Hidden Categories doesn't seem to change anything
* if I go back to Tags and uncheck "Not Tagged," then the unwanted categories disappear from the report
* Soooo….
* if this were all working properly, the only thing that should determine whether a given category appears in the report or not is whether that box is checked or not in the Categories screen
* but it seems that if "Not Tagged" in Tags is checked, then additional unwanted categories show up in the report
* AND, if one then goes to Categories, the same unwanted categories that appeared in the report are nowhere to be found
* toggling the "Not Tagged" box in Tags absolutely makes the difference whether the unwanted categories appear in the report
* furthermore, it looks like any of the specific unwanted categories that show up in a report also CAN'T be found if one tries to customize the report, they just aren't there to check/uncheck. However if one accesses categories from the tools menu, then they ARE there

So, it seems some categories are in a weird state where they show up in a report even if they aren't supposed to be there (if the "Not Tagged" tag is checked) , BUT at the same time they don't appears in the categories if one is trying to customize a report (but are available via Tools>Categories)

Good luck!

Comments

• jlaureano0615
    jlaureano0615 Member ✭✭
    Options

Having this same problem…and the unwanted category is not in the list of selectable categories in the selection box in the 'Categories' tab.

Very weird.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This seems to be tied to the new customize dialogs. Most of the time going back to the old customize dialogs fixes such things, but not always, and in some cases they messed up the old customized dialog and the new one works. It is a bit of a mess.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mwdillon
    mwdillon Member
    Options

I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to write some reports to prepare our taxes with certain categories. Every report has all the Auto categories included.

• bj58
    bj58 Member ✭✭
    Options

I was having the same problem. I saw another, similar topic about this issue. Going to Edit/Preferences, Early Access, and unchecking the box for Customized Reports, then restarting Quicken solved the problem for me.

This discussion has been closed.