Need a minimum of 8 decimal points

Options

In the world of crypto currency and fractional shares, Quicken desperately needs to provide more decimal places.

Both for dollar (price) and quantity (shares).

I think Quick only provides 6 decimal places but my Bitcoin and Etherum quantities need 8. This causes rounding errors and is simply inaccurate.

The inaccuracies causes tax lot issues too. Sometimes I think I've completely disposed of an entire tax lot only to later learn I still have 0.00000013 remaining.

Inaccurate financial records is unacceptable. Right? Isn't that the whole point of Quicken?

Please update and correct this issue.

Thanks!!

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@smithgroup - Does this Investments Preference get you what you want to see?

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

@smithgroup - Does this Investments Preference get you what you want to see?

• smithgroup
    smithgroup Member ✭✭
    Options

Unbelievable!! That should help! I've been using Quicken since 1996. I'm not sure when that was added, but I'm glad to see the option. Thank you @Boatnmaniac

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

@smithgroup - I don't know what happened to your original reply post but it seems that the Community SPAM algorithms are misidentifying legitimate posts as SPAM when they are not. Maybe that is what happened to your reply post.

Anyway, here is a pic of your reply that I got in a notification email:

I don't remember exactly when this change was made, either. It's good to know it does what you want. Thanks for confirming it works.

• Fr0stbyte7
    Fr0stbyte7 Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

This "extend share precision" option worked in R52.33, but it quit working with the November update. It still doesn't work in the current version R53.32.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

I am running R53.32 and I see 8 decimal points in reports. But I don't see anything in the actual register transactions that goes out that far because almost none of my transactions go out even as far as 6 decimal points. So, could you provide a little more information regarding what you are seeing in transactions and in reports as well as how that has changed since November?

• garspss
    garspss Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I'll point out that the issue is unresolved in Release R54.9 (1/19/2024). Enabling Extended Share Precision in Investments Preferences does nothing now. It should allow 0.00605436 shares, but rounds it to 0.006054 as if the option wasn't enabled. It allowed and kept 8 digit precision in R52.33.

• smithgroup
    smithgroup Member ✭✭
    Options

Agreed. The above setting change doesn't fix it. My transactions still round to 6 places after checking the box for 8.

Quicken, please fix this.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

It would probably be a good idea if each of us report this issue to Quicken: Help > Report a Problem. We won't get a follow-up response but the Development Team does review issues reported via this method. It should be easy for them to replicate the issue because we are all seeing this issue. And it is good that it is identified in this thread which version worked correctly so they can perhaps more easily narrow down which version update introduced the issue. Hopefully it can be fixed fairly quickly.

• garspss
    garspss Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I noticed problems with 8 digit precision when it worked in R52.33.

Enabling 8 digit precision caused some previously entered holdings to have values in digits 7 and 8. It caused cases where my holdings became incorrect. For example, 6.666667 shares might change to 6.66666667 shares. I noticed similar issues between ETrade direct connect versus web express connect Web connect precision was 3 digits and direct connect was more. The transactions can be corrected manually, but it is a pain. Now that ETrade clears via Morgan Stanley, the fractional precision is always 3 digits.

Not everyone wants to adjust 20 years of investment history because rounding changes. Unintended errors could be eliminated if precision could be extended per symbol or per account. I continue to work around 6 digit precision by scaling my own prices for Milli-bitcoin (my symbol is BTC.001) and multiplying my bitcoin shares by 1000.

• WizardDoc
    WizardDoc Member ✭✭
    Options

Still not working as of 2.13.2024. Worked fine a few months ago. I cannot add any new transactions for bitcoin as it rounds the price bitcoin was purchased at based on the rounded 6 decimal points of bitcoin instead of 8 (ie .00659291 becomes .002593 bitcoin) - thus my transactions are not accurate. I did send a report to quicken today, have been waiting for a fix.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited February 16
    Options

FYI: Someone posted that R52.33 is the last version in which the 8 decimal points still works:

If you want to try downgrading to that version you can do so by going to this Support Article: https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has .

Once there, scroll down and click on October 2023. Then click on the link for R52.33 to download and save the file for it. Double click on that file or Open it to install it. It will revert your current installation to R52.33. (Be sure to back up your data file before attempting to do this.)

• ekajake
    ekajake Member ✭✭
    Options

This still does not work for me as well. I have clicked that setting and still not working. I have the latest version.

• rclemmer
    rclemmer Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Downgrade to R52.33. Works fine for me now. Quicken fix it!!! Add larger share QTYs as well!!

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Have you tried downgrading your installation as I posted above?

This discussion has been closed.