Quicken repeatedly freezing December 2023/Please start over with a new Quicken!

Options

Version R 53.32

Build 27.1.53.32

Windows 10 Home

OK, I know this is a longstanding issue, and I know there doesn't seem to be a solution.. I am so frustrated with Quicken—we have used it for 20 years, and it worked beautifully for ages until about a year ago. This morning I was trying to pay bills using the calendar. In a period of 25 minutes it froze 14 times and had to be force closed. I also rebooted twice in that period. Problems I encountered are:

1. Certain calendar transactions cause random freezing.
  2. I pay from the calendar and it shows in the register but remains unpaid on the calendar.
  3. If I try to ignore and skip the transaction that remains unpaid on the calendar, it freezes.
  4. Immediately after opening Quicken or randomly during use (frequently using calendar function) the screen will dim to white and not respond.

Quicken has been a great program for years, but has had a gazillion updates and patches.. At this point it is so bloated with fixes I believe they need to start over with a fresh, new program.

[Removed - No Soliciting]

Tagged:

Comments

• katiecarter
    Options

Same here — got an error pop-up window yesterday that said there had been Quicken server issues and they were working with their provider to solve. I'm frustrated as well. I liked it better as an Intuit product.

• Tom Nethery
    Options

My experience is similar. I have been using Quicken for 20 years and I began to have problems beginning a year ago. This correlates with separation from Intuit but don't know if there is actually cause and effect or just coincidence. When I perform an update frequently it will just shutdown rather than following the normal process to close the update after viewing the results of the update. Another problem is sometimes my Quicken will just begin "quivering" until I click on it and it will stop.

• hansangb
    hansangb Member ✭✭
    Options

Agreed. I stared using Quicken when it was a version 1 product running in DOS in mid 80's. You had to order special checks but it worked FANTASTIC. Until about two years ago when things started failing. I think, in part, it's because they are going to deprecate standalone Quicken and turn it into a web/online only product. I can only imagine supporting fat clients is a liability vs having a web only product. I even looked to jump ship - last year - after 50 years of use but couldn't find a viable alternative. I didn't even know MSFT Money was shuttered years ago.

Also, these last four days of generic "things aren't working, we think it's fix, oh no it's still broken, it's working again, no it's not" isn't helping. I wish they would be more specific.

• operaflute
    operaflute Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Haven’t been able to even get my Quicken to load at all for at least a week. This is not okay.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I believe they need to start over with a fresh, new program.

In my opinion, if they ever attempted this, that would be the end of Quicken.

The only reason Quicken Mac survived its total rewrite was because most of the revenue was coming from Quicken Windows, that didn't get a rewrite. Intuit lost money on it for something like 10 years.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • pmarr
    pmarr Member ✭✭
    Options

Same experience as outlined by others. Have been on hold for tech support for 30+ minutes. This isn't acceptable!

• johnm_1949
    johnm_1949 Member
    Options

I too am a long time Quicken user and have not had negative issues. Until now. Quicken Classic Premium register will not accept any entries after December, 2023. It doesn't freeze or dim. It will show the date, payee, category, etc. data, but when I click the enter key on my keyboard, the data disappears without being entered. I have not tried the online chat feature for help, nor used the phone help feature because I have never found them to be helpful, no matter which programs had these features. I cannot even find my problem listed anywhere on the Internet, although there are similar issues written by the good users above. So what are we suppose to do?

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12
    Options

@johnm_1949,

when I click the enter key on my keyboard, the data disappears without being entered

This is usually due to the register being sorted in an unintended order. Make sure you're sorting by date or date/order entered.

[Edited-Removed Personal Information]

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• operaflute
    operaflute Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I just uninstalled Adobe Creative Cloud via the utility in the link below, and - poof! - Quicken works (for me) again. Who am I to understand?

https://helpx.adobe.com/download-install/kb/creative-cloud-install-stuck.html

• rlrwa
    rlrwa Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I started having the same problem yesterday (Jan 11th). I did all of the following - the last one seemed to do the trick. I'm not sure if any of the previous steps made any difference. The backup copy I used is from January 3rd - not sure what happened between then and yesterday.

Restarted computer

Installed the latest patch

Validated file

Super validated file

Copied file with only 2024 dated transactions (included unreconciled, investment transactions plus attachments)

Reverted to a backup copy

• jewheaton
    jewheaton Member
    Options

Same problem for me. I too am a 20 year user and this is the first time something has really gone south. I can open the calendar and check an entry alright, but if I go to another month (e.g., Feb.), the calendar freezes and I the only cure is to close Quicken. I have tried the using the backup file, but that caused other problems. I was using One Drive to house Quicken, and that was a problem, but the last update was supposed to have fixed that. I didn't have the calendar problem till I did the update, so maybe they are related.

• Pd112639#
    Pd112639# Member
    Options

Well same here. I've reverted to downloading direct from my vendors like Wells Fargo and Amex. Worked with their support people for hours online/phone who seemed to be oblivious of all these problems which ended by them giving me a case number - told to wait 24 hours - try Quicken again…… of course no change it still doesn't work and freezes when you try to download. I'm side-using a program called Count About which works well but not as much as what Quicken used to be. Anyone have any better suggestions than Quicken.

This discussion has been closed.