Use one subscription for both a Windows laptop and a Mac?

Options
rickybishop
rickybishop Unconfirmed, Member

Could not find answer anywhere to this question and support page is not even showing a phone number.

Wife currently has a Quicken subscription for her use on a Mac.

We want to upgrade our old Windows computer (using Quicken 2016) to a new Windows laptop.

Can we use her subscription on both her Mac laptop and our new Windows 11 laptop?

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, the subscription will allow you to use on both

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

But you can't share or use the same data file. You have to convert the file each time if you want to go back and forth between Windows and Mac.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Interesting question. I don't know for sure but I think you can do what you are inquiring about. Perhaps the discussion in the following thread answers your question (click on the date to be taken to the entire thread).:

Note that you will need to use your wife's Quicken ID and login in order to install the QWin upgrade.

Also note that QWin edition will be the same QMac edition that your wife is subscribed to. So if you are using QWin Premier now and your wife is subscribed to QMac Deluxe, your upgraded QWin software will be enabled for Deluxe, not Premier.

What I would suggest is that you do a few things before proceeding:

1. Backup your QWin data file.
    2. Do a Windows search for the Quicken.ini file on your hard drive and back it up somewhere. (For me the path to that is C:\Windows\QUICKEN.INI.) You do not need to do this if you are definitely going to upgrade and have no intent of every using your QWin 2016 ever again. But if you do intend to go back to QWin 2016 you will likely need it because you will not be able to reinstall and run QWin 2016 after you start the upgrade process without that backed up Quicken.ini file. (In fact, even if you do not do the upgrade, you should back up that Quicken.ini file somewhere because there is a risk that at sometime sooner or later your QWin program will no longer work for you. If/when that happens that backed up Quicken.ini file will be needed to restore functionality.)

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.