Print Check Register - Missing and much needed (Q Mac)

Options
drwho351
drwho351 Member ✭✭

I have been using Quicken for 25+ years, on the windows side. I have moved to Mac - and sorely disappointed that I cannot print the register like I did with Quicken for Windows Deluxe version. Basically I would be on the register for a checking account, Print - then print to a file that was Excel friendly. Looks like Mac had that earlier this year, but now it is gone per a post here.

[Removed - Rant/Speculation] THANKS for removing!

Please add this feature back. This is how I help my mother who is 85 years old, manage her finances remotely.

Open to suggestions, but really don't want to try to write more Macros in Excel to calculate the balance, which will never be the same as the actual register, I fear.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

You absolutely can print a check register in Quicken Mac. In fact, there's a Print button on the bottom menu bar. Or you can use File > Print.

Select the transactions you want to print by clicking on the first one, scrolling to the last one and doing Shift-click to highlight all the transactions in between. Or, use the date filter at the top to set the time period you want, such as Last Month or This Month or any custom date range you need.

(For anyone new to Quicken Mac, I suggest going to Settings > Register and setting Register toolbar to "Always Show" so the toolbar is always present. Over time, if you want the extra half-inch of space, you can change the setting to "Automatically Hide & Show", so it only pops up when your mouse is at the bottom of the screen.)

Note that you can also Export the register transactions to a CSV file by selecting your transactions and then doing File > Export > Export Register Transactions to CSV File.

There is one issue with printing or exporting transactions: they come out with each split line showing. In some instances, this is exactly what you'd want; in other instances, you might want just one line per transaction, irrespective of splits, as it appears onscreen. There is an Idea post (feature request) for this functionality, and I encourage everyone who would like this option to add your vote for it in the yellow box at the top of the page:

That Idea post needs just a handful of more votes for the moderators to push it to the development team for consideration. Your votes matter!

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • drwho351
    drwho351 Member ✭✭
    Options

Hmmm - well, I'm ok eating my words - but perhaps it is actually better than I thought. I was even on with Quicken Chat asking these very questions and they told me "it is not supported- sorry"…

However - I went back to my account transactions, did an Export to see again "what do I get" - and to my surprise, it's all here. CSV format which I can import into Excel; YTD as i had on the register query - so I guess it is here.

I am just perplexed - so obviously the ability to do this as part of "PRINT" is not available as I had it in the Windows "Home, Business & Rental Property".

• jacobs
    Options

so obviously the ability to do this as part of "PRINT" is not available as I had it in the Windows "Home, Business & Rental Property".

No, that's incorrect. As I posted above, you can print all or selected transactions. Please re-read my post. You can print from the bottom toolbar…

…or from the File menu…

…or with the keyboard shortcut used by almost every Mac program, Command-P.

Before printing, you should set your register for what you want to print. You can use the Date filter to show transactions from This Month, Last Month, or any custom time period…

Or you can leave the date range unchanged and select (highlight) the transactions you want to print in the register. Quicken uses the standard Mac convention for selecting a range of items: click the first one and Shift-click the last one, so all the transactions in between will be highlighted. Then select Print. Quicken will display a dialog box asking if you want the transactions printed in transaction format (you do) and which to include. If you haven't highlight any transactions, you have no choice; it will print all visible transactions:

If you have selected some transactions in the register, you can choose to print "Selected transactions only":

I hope that's clear now. You can absolutely print part or all of a transaction register.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited December 2023
    Options

@jacobs In Quicken Windows, there's an Export to CSV option right in the print dialog; Quicken Mac doesn't have that. I think that's what they're talking about.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    Options

@Jon said: In Quicken Windows, there's an Export to CSV option right in the print dialog; Quicken Mac doesn't have that. I think that's what they're talking about.

Well, the topic subject is :"Print Check Register - Missing and much needed". And the first post said, "sorely disappointed that I cannot print the register like I did with Quicken for Windows Deluxe version." As I've pointed out, printing a check register is not missing in Quicken Mac.

Now, if you're correct that what @drwho351 is complaining about is exporting from a transaction register rather than printing, I have explained that it is indeed possible to export transactions in Quicken Mac, either an entire register or selected transactions.

So if the complaint is simply that instead of File > Print, one must select File > Export in Quicken Mac, then it's certainly not a missing feature, and to me seems like much ado about nothing. There are lots of things in Quicken Mac which are in different place, have slightly different names, or are accomplished slightly differently than in Quicken Windows.

The original request stated: "Please add this feature back." It wasn't removed. It is not missing.

The original request also said: "[I] really don't want to try to write more Macros in Excel to calculate the balance, which will never be the same as the actual register, I fear." Why would macros in Excel would be needed to calculate the balance? Exporting a register includes the balance column from the register.

(As I noted in a post yesterday, the only issue with printing and exporting from a register is that each split line is shown as it it were its own transaction. Because there's currently no option to suppress the splits, depending on what one is doing, it might be necessary to manually combine two or more split lines to see the actual transaction amount. It's annoying, but workable. And hopefully more people will vote for the request to provide the option to show only total transactions as viewed in the register. )

If there's some other issue here I'm just not understanding, hopefully @drwho351 will post a reply to further explain what they feel is missing regarding printing or exporting from a transaction register in Quicken Mac.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I think we just have a Quicken Windows user who is new to Quicken Mac & still needs to learn how Quicken Mac does the things they're used to doing. When they didn't see the export feature in the print dialog where they were accustomed to seeing it, they thought QMac couldn't do that & reacted accordingly.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.