QDF File Size Limitations or Recommendations

Options
David Brown
David Brown Member ✭✭

I'm using Quicken Classic Premier, version R53.32, build 27.1.53.32 on Windows 10.

My current data file contains transactions from 2006 to present and the QDF file is 321MB in size. I've been using Quicken since the DOS days of 1988, and I previously did yearend copies and started a "fresh" data file each year. However, I like having the ability to run reports over several years of data, so keeping everything in one data file since 2006 has been nice. I've noticed some slow down in the app's performance and transaction downloads over the last few years, and I'm wondering if my 321MB QDF file is beginning to push the limits of the application.

Looking for any information/advice as to any data file size limitations for Quicken, and recommendations on whether I need to "start anew" with a yearend copy and a fresh data file or if I can continue using and adding to the existing large data file. Thank you in advance.

David

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The first question I would have about your 321 MB file is if you are using attachments?

If so, they take up a lot of space, but have no impact on performance since they are stored separately and only fetched as needed. On the other hand, if you want to remove them going forward the copy function allows for that (note that the copy function will disable all online services so you will have to activate them in the copy again).

In general, the size of the Quicken data file has every little to do with the performance you will get. Maybe a second or two here or there. Performance problems almost always come down to what you have in the data file, and in the case of investment accounts, what you have in any given account. Investment accounts are one of the places where a large amount of transactions/security lots/securities can affect the performance while you are in that account. That is why they created the Archive feature in the investment accounts, which basically does what has been suggested for years, but more automatically and that is to move closed lots to another investment account.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For what its worth, my QDF file is 1,284 MB, but it does contain numerous attachments. I have no performance concerns other than OSU runs slowly and if I leave Quicken open for a day it will take several seconds for Quicken to refresh and be "ready" after I switch back to it after using other applications. The latter issue would be tied to file complexity; the former is just how OSU runs these days. I am running Quicken on a rather powerful PC.

• David Brown
    David Brown Member ✭✭
    Options

No, I'm not using attachments. And I rarely use the notes feature either. My QDF is almost entirely just pure transactions data. Based on the responses to my question, it sounds like there's no harm in continuing to use the 18 year-old data file and keeping my long-range reporting capability intact. I greatly appreciate the responses.

This discussion has been closed.