Is it okay to both automatically update from Fidelity AND manually enter a share buy?

Options
SteveInTally
SteveInTally Member
edited January 30 in Investing (Windows)

I am a new retiree and just recently added my Fidelity account(s) to Quicken. I have set up One-Step updates with Fidelity. Is it safe / good / reliable to ever manually enter a fund share buy or sell when also doing One-Step Updates? Does it match the way regular banking matches? Or am I creating problems for myself?

Answers

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, you can manually enter buys and sells. I do it all the time with Fidelity and it matches with the downloaded transactions. I like to enter them as they happen because the Fidelity downloads are a day behind.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@bmciance Nailed it.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Indeed, there are times and circumstances where the manual entry is necessary and better than the downloaded transactions. That is usually with more complex stock transactions than with mutual fund events, but it is possible all around. I will usually enter MF trades as I make them so that I can include a confirmation number and also cross check the downloaded version to make sure it agrees with my expectation. If you keep your eyes on everything, you will be preventing problems.

This discussion has been closed.