Help with adding accounts

Options

I needed to change my password for my Credit Union. I did so and I can connect to my CU, online with no problem. Now to configure Quicken.

I have disconnected my 5 accounts. I am trying to add accounts back in. I choose Direct Connect. I enter my user name and password and press enter. I receive a message saying user name or password is wrong. I can still log into my CU with the same name and password just fine.

3:43 PM

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Makes perfect sense. It also seems to confirm that DC requires a unique login (PW?) because your normal online account login works with the EWC setup but not with the DC set up. And it's good to hear you were now able to get your accounts connected properly.

BTW, if you take a look at that FIDIR listing I'd posted earlier, DC works with BANKING accounts (i.e., checking, savings) but nothing is said about CREDIT accounts (i.e., credit cards, loans). So if one or more of your accounts is a credit card you will not be able download the transactions for it using DC.

However EWC does include CREDIT so it seems to cover all the bases when it comes to bank account types.

Since the DC connection does not include the PAYMENT in the FIDIR listing it means you cannot use DC to do Bank Bill Pay from within Quicken (not to be confused with Quicken's Bill Manager Bill Payment…a separate service that does not connect directly with the CU). So, except for a faster connection method with a bit better reliability I don't think the DC will buy you much improvement over your current EWC connection. This is especially true if one or more of your accounts there is a credit card. If that is so then if you add DC for your BANKING accounts you will still also need EWC for your CREDIT card accounts. There are times when setting up a financial institution with 2 different connection method is beneficial or even needed but in most cases it is best to use just one connection method. It will save a little time in total OSU time (1 less connection to be completed during OSU) and 1 less opportunity for a connection issue to occur so better reliability.

In other words, unless do not have any credit card or loan accounts there, you might just be better off keeping the EWC connection in place. But if you have only Banking accounts there, then DC might be something you might want to consider upgrading the connection to (but you do not need to do that). In the end, it is a personal choice matter.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Who is your CU?

Does your CU have a special login requirement for DC access? Some do, some don't. But if yours does, then trying to set up your accounts with your standard online account login will not work.

• Alex in Oregon
    Options

Our CU is Rogue CU. It does use Direct Connect. I do not remember that the Direct Connect password is different than the online account. I will contact Rogue CU to verify this. That will be difficult these next few days.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Thanks for advising who the CU is. The FIDIR file does show that Rogue supports DC as well as EWC and WC.:

18103 18103 18103 Rogue CU https://www.roguefcu.org/ 541-858-7328 https://www.roguecuonline.org/tob/live/usp-core/app/login/consumer ACTIVE BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&DIRECT BANKING&WEB-CONNECT BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT NOT_QBP NA

One thing I noticed is that Add Account defaults the connection set up to EWC, not DC. You mentioned that you "choose Direct Connect". Is that selection being made after clicking on Advanced Options in Add Account? If not, then you were likely being through the EWC connection set up and this past week there were Quicken server issues that prevented many people from being able to set up, connect with and/or download from EWC financial institutions so maybe that is what you got caught up with?

If, however, you did select DC, then it does appear (not definitive) that Rogue requires a unique login. See the following Rogue webpage: https://www.roguecu.org/personal-services/quicken-support . Contacting Rogue about this is probably the correct next step to take.

BTW, if Rogue does have a special DC login requirement, would you post that here? It could be helpful to other Rogue CU customers in the future.

• Alex in Oregon
    Options

Good morning and thanks for helping.

About a week ago I talked with RCU online banking phone support. I was told that they only use Direct Connect for Quicken. It is interesting that you discovered that they accept all 3 connection types. I called the 800 number that was in the Quicken Support | Rogue Credit Union link. They are closed. So I called the local RCU support number 541-858-7328 and apparently it is the same number and they are closed. Bummer for me.

For clarity, in Quicken, I am using Add Account > Rogue CU > Advanced Options > Continue > Direct Connect > Username & Password. Continuing I get the Quicken message that the username or password is incorrect.

• Alex in Oregon
    Options

A bit more,

For fun I did things the way you asked if i had done.

Add Account > Rogue CU > Next > Continue > Username & Password. I then had a screen to "Connect" to the proper accounts. I confirmed each account number. This time It downloaded lots & lots of transactions in the 6 accounts. Once done and going to the Tools > Account List, I see in the Transaction Download column "Improve Connection" in all 6 accounts.

It appears that the connection is EWC.

I hope this makes sence.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited December 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Makes perfect sense. It also seems to confirm that DC requires a unique login (PW?) because your normal online account login works with the EWC setup but not with the DC set up. And it's good to hear you were now able to get your accounts connected properly.

BTW, if you take a look at that FIDIR listing I'd posted earlier, DC works with BANKING accounts (i.e., checking, savings) but nothing is said about CREDIT accounts (i.e., credit cards, loans). So if one or more of your accounts is a credit card you will not be able download the transactions for it using DC.

However EWC does include CREDIT so it seems to cover all the bases when it comes to bank account types.

Since the DC connection does not include the PAYMENT in the FIDIR listing it means you cannot use DC to do Bank Bill Pay from within Quicken (not to be confused with Quicken's Bill Manager Bill Payment…a separate service that does not connect directly with the CU). So, except for a faster connection method with a bit better reliability I don't think the DC will buy you much improvement over your current EWC connection. This is especially true if one or more of your accounts there is a credit card. If that is so then if you add DC for your BANKING accounts you will still also need EWC for your CREDIT card accounts. There are times when setting up a financial institution with 2 different connection method is beneficial or even needed but in most cases it is best to use just one connection method. It will save a little time in total OSU time (1 less connection to be completed during OSU) and 1 less opportunity for a connection issue to occur so better reliability.

In other words, unless do not have any credit card or loan accounts there, you might just be better off keeping the EWC connection in place. But if you have only Banking accounts there, then DC might be something you might want to consider upgrading the connection to (but you do not need to do that). In the end, it is a personal choice matter.

• Alex in Oregon
    Options

I pressed fixed too soon. Just wanted to say Thank You.

I will be contacting the CU on Tues and see where DC goes.

We don't have a credit card with the CU but we do have a HEL. We used it about a month ago and I think it was working with DC. I'll look into that as well.

Happy New Year to you!

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

You are welcome. Happy New Year to you, too!

This discussion has been closed.