Asset Allocation - Re-Classifying Securities

Options
ufcpa
ufcpa Member
edited January 31 in Investing (Windows)

I am new to using Quicken for monitoring my investments and am having an issue which has been covered significantly in the archives, but I have a slightly different query that I've been able to resolve.

I have a fairly diversified portfolio at Vanguard, with many, many individual bond holdings which Quicken classifies as "Unclassified". Drilling into the Detail View on each bond, Quicken "knows" that the Type of security is a "Bond", and further, that the Bond Type is a "Municipal Bond", but still places each bond in the Asset Class of "Unclassified".

My question is whether there is a way that I can reclassify all of the bonds at one time, or must I click into each security and "Edit Security Details" to make the change?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The asset class here, presumably, is "Domestic Bond" so it appears that you selected "Unclassified" at setup?

I'm not aware of any way, within Quicken, to make the change en masse, I think it will have to be a one at a time effort. Maybe somebody else has a better idea.

• ufcpa
    ufcpa Member
    Options

Thanks. Yes, the correct asset class would be "Domestic Bond". I did not intentionally select "Unclassified" at setup, as far as I know— ie, I believe that Quicken assigned categories to the holdings automatically.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Quicken downloads Asset Classes for tickers with a valid ticker when their third party data supplier provides that asset class data. Ergo, Quicken does not download asset classes for bonds and the classification defaults to Unclassified until the user makes a different selection.

I agree there is no way to change that asset class en masse.

This discussion has been closed.