Easiest way to update investment lots on old account

Options
Mike3700
Mike3700 Member
edited February 6 in Investing (Windows)

I have an online brokerage account with about 12 securities that have been bought, sold, and added to over since 2016. From 2016-2021 my Quicken settings were set to the default First In/First Out. In 2021 I started tax loss harvesting and started to track investment lots. For 9 of the 12 securities in the account, I've been able to get my Quicken records to match my brokerage records. I'm struggling with 3 of the accounts because there are many investment lots and I can't go back and confirm which lots were sold under which sale.

Is there an easy way to update my investment lots in these 3 securities to match my brokerage? I've spent the afternoon trying to correct this and am now considering deleting the online brokerage account and then adding it back in. Any big negatives with doing this?

I tried the 'reconcile shares' option but it says 'your Quicken account and Brokerage account are in agreement.'

Thanks - Mike

Best Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

"Any big negatives with doing this?"

You may not be able to download all of the history you need.

I would test to see how much history you can get in a new Quicken data file (File→New Quicken file) and if that works to your satisfaction, then go ahead with the delete and recreate of that investment account in the existing file.

ALWAYS make a backup before doing anything major to your data file.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

After backing up, since your share counts match and assuming your brokerage data presents the detailed by lot data —

You can Remove Shares for all shares for each of the three securities individually.

Use Add Shares to add in the "by lot" information including correct share numbers, basis per lot, and date acquired.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

"Any big negatives with doing this?"

You may not be able to download all of the history you need.

I would test to see how much history you can get in a new Quicken data file (File→New Quicken file) and if that works to your satisfaction, then go ahead with the delete and recreate of that investment account in the existing file.

ALWAYS make a backup before doing anything major to your data file.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

After backing up, since your share counts match and assuming your brokerage data presents the detailed by lot data —

You can Remove Shares for all shares for each of the three securities individually.

Use Add Shares to add in the "by lot" information including correct share numbers, basis per lot, and date acquired.

• Mike3700
    Mike3700 Member
    Options

Thank you both. I could only get 90 days of history so I Removed Shares and Added as described.

This discussion has been closed.