One Step Update not updating

Options
Slim2
Slim2 Member ✭✭

An email I received last night indicated that this has been resolved. It has not on my computer. When I do a one step update for any charge card with a yellow key next to it on the one step update settings page, it takes about 2 seconds for it to say "One step update complete". Yet, when I open that account, nothing has been added. Other charge card accounts without the yellow key continue to update fine. The update feature is very important to me. Please fix this ASAP. Thank you.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

For these accounts that are not updating during OSU:

• Have you tried Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Update Now? This updates just the accounts with that financial institution. I will sometime work when OSU fails.
    • If Update Now doesn't work: Have you tried Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Reset Account? This will reset the connection method for all accounts with that financial institution. Some have had to do this (I am one of those) with some of their accounts because of this OSU issue of the past week

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Slim2
    Slim2 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for your help. Yea, I tried your first suggestion on my AMEX card last week & today – no go. I started your 2nd suggestion last week on a Chase card, but I did not keep going when there was some kind of warning from the Quicken program about if you have multiple accounts at one institution, those that you don’t include in this process will no longer be visible in Quicken (or something to this regard). I have used Quicken for over 25 years and the data that I have accumulated is very valuable to me, so I was afraid of not being able to see some of my old Chase accounts in Quicken (I have numerous – some I have only updated manually by typing in transactions and some have had automatic updates in the past.) So now on that Chase account that was working until last week when I started the Reset Account (I think it was that function) process, there is no longer an Update Now button under the gear Icon.

Your thoughts please about my fear of maybe not being able to see all my old Chase accounts.

And your thoughts about if Quicken will likely have a fix to other accounts that show the yellow key next to them in the one step update process (none of which will update). I was hoping that one of these days this would get fixed automatically, without me dealing with it through other means.

• Slim2
    Slim2 Member ✭✭
    Options

A little more info: I see above that Quicken says I am running "(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R53.26 on Windows 11)"

I am using a Windows 10 machine but have a new Windows 11 on order.

Over the 25 years of using Quicken I have rarely asked for help from Quicken. A few times I created a major mess by doing something that downloaded all the transactions, not just the new ones, creating dups that I had to delete individually. If there is too much risk at this point with these type of things by me doing something individually, I can wait until Quicken can get to the heart of this recent problem with updating.

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks again.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

@Slim2 - That "Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R53.26 on Windows 11" is not about you. That is my Community profile signature and it appears under every post I make. You can go to your Community profile signature and do something similar if you wish.

Sorry, I didn't realize that you were dealing with multiple accounts at the same financial institutions. Yes, there have been some issues with EWC+ connections with some financial institutions (Amex and Chase are two of them) when there are multiple accounts involved. But for the most part I think that is when there also multiple different logins involved with each of those financial institutions (for instance when a husband has his own accounts and login and the wife has her own accounts and login).

You didn't say that you have multiple logins involved so there really shouldn't be too much of an issue….at least I wouldn't think so.

What I do suggest is that before you do anything else you make sure to backup your data file. (I usually recommend setting the backup Preference to automatically back-up after every session and to retain the equivalent of at least a month of backups.)

Then I would ask you to relax a bit. The caution about not being able to see some accounts is being misunderstood. With any connection method, if we do not accept set up of all accounts at the financial institution we will get downloaded data only for those that we do accept. The others will not update anymore but they will still be visible in Quicken if they were previously set up in Quicken.

This "not being able to download some accounts" is not a permanent situation. We can deactivate all of the connected accounts with that financial institution and start the Add Account (or Set Up Now) process, again, and then we will be given the opportunity to select all accounts for download, again. So, no worries.

Now downloading dups is an occasional issue when resetting an account or changing the connection method. All I can say to that is to make sure you keep the transactions in the register reconciled (with the "R") so when dups do happen it will be easy to know which of the dups to keep and which to delete because all the new transactions will be marked as Cleared ("C") instead of "R". Also, when dups do occur they usually do not go back more than 90 days.

The other issue that sometimes happens when updating or changing the connection method of an account is that the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount gets changed. I suggest being proactive about this by entering and saving the dollar amount for those Opening Balance transactions into the Memo field. Then if something happens to change the dollar value of the transaction you can just look at the Memo field to see what you need to do to correct it.

And, I'll repeat, again: Do frequent and regular backups.

So, back to your Chase accounts: After you have backed up your file…

1. Deactivate each of your Chase accounts on the Online Services tab of Account Details.
    2. After the last of the Chase accounts has been deactivated: Do Add Account or Set Up Now to be taken through the reauthorization process with Chase.
    3. Carefully Link the downloaded data to each of the accounts you already have set up in Quicken. Also, make sure that the Type and Nickname are correct. If they are not, try to correct them before proceeding. If you cannot correct them, cancel the process and start over with #2.

In the end, if you do not like the results or if you encounter problems or bad data, you can always restore that backup file and everything will be as it was before.

Let me know if you have any questions or how it went for you.

• dmpaul55
    dmpaul55 Member
    Options

Version R53.26 works fine on windows 10, version R53.32 does not work on windows 11. An option to down grade to R53.26 would be helpful.

Currently I can not get R53.32 to send a problem report.

• Slim2
    Slim2 Member ✭✭
    Options

Wow! Thanks for your help. I was able to fix my AMEX. The first time trying, Quicken crashed (totally left the screen). I reopened Quicken and tried again and it downloaded transactions OK. When I tried to do the same for US Bank, Quicken locked up (still showed on the screen but greyed out and did not respond to anything) I did a control/Alt/Delete to end the program and tried again and it worked.

For months a savings account at ETRADE Bank would require me to update twice in a row to work. After numerous attempts today it didn’t work. I tried what worked for the other accounts, but no go, and I see it has purged my account #, routing #, etc. from Quicken. Bummer. Now when I add the account # on Edit Account Details page, it doesn’t save it. I guess I am going to wait for now on the ETRADE Savings account updates, unless you have any suggestions.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

If you wish to downgrade to R53.26: Follow this link (https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has) and scroll down to the December 2023 link. You will find the Manual Patch for R53.26 there. Click on that to download the file and install it. It will overwrite your R53.32 installation.

Before you do this, though, make sure your Windows UAC setting is set to Always notify. Doing so will cause Windows to prompt you to allow or reject attempts by Quicken to the current released version. If you do not do this, Quicken will automatically update you, again to R53.32.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

I'm glad it's fixed some of your accounts.

Regarding E*Trade Bank: I am not finding any current issues posted regarding this bank. There is an Alert posted but it is pretty old now (ONGOING 10/11/23 E*Trade Bank - CC-501/FDP-101) so I don't know if this is still an open issue.

Some things you might want to try doing. Each of these things are known to be able to fix some connection/set up issues.:

Have you tried doing Validate and Repair (under File) and then tried to do Add Account to setup the account, again? V&R can sometime repair account issues so it functions properly again.

When you do Add Account, if it does not allow you to Link to your current account in Quicken, are you able to instead tell Quicken to Add it as a new account in Quicken? If it allows you to do this, I can assist you in merging the current account transactions into the new account that gets set up.

Have you tried to create a new file for Quicken (File > New Quicken File)? Name it TEST or something else that is unique. Can you set up the E*Trade Bank account in this new file?

By any chance, is your Quicken data file in a folder that sync's with MS OneDrive or some other cloud storage service? If so, try moving your data file to another folder that will not sync with OneDrive and then try doing Add Account or Set Up Now for E*Trade Bank, again.

• Ralphsav
    Ralphsav Member ✭✭
    edited January 23
    Options

I have tried most of the suggestions to no avail. This is very frustrating.

• dlinger
    dlinger Member
    Options

I have tried almost everything also over the last couple weeks. My one step update will not update my Capital One and Bank of America cards. Progress spins for awhile and says waiting. It will stop spinning and when I mouse click the screen, I get black screen background behind the box and mouse cursor spinning. Mouse click screen again and one step says not responding. Another mouse click and Quicken window says not responding - wait or close. Have to restart Quicken.

I can update my Fidelity and American investment accounts fine.

My cloud sync also does not work with basically the same issues, stop responding and closes program.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

How long have you been getting this error code?

Are you getting this error code when you are trying to set up Regions Bank for download or when you are doing One Step Update?

• Ralphsav
    Ralphsav Member ✭✭
    Options

I set up a new file which worked for a couple of days. Now I'm back to the same problem no updates.

• Ralphsav
    Ralphsav Member ✭✭
    Options

Looks like this last Software update fixed my problem.

This discussion has been closed.