Change ownership of file.

Options

Hello

I do the finances for my elderly mother. She has her own quicken subscription. I used an old laptop that I had to do her finances.

I also signed up for quicken subscription on that laptop and would like to have her account under mine. When I logged into her account, it said that the version of quicken is assigned to the owner (my name) and asked if i wanted to transfer ownership of her file to my account. But then it said that her bill and income payments that were set up would be lost and would have to be reset. I suppose that isn't a big deal.

I just want to make sure that this will stay completely separate from my data file that i use for my fianances.

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is she going to still need access to the data file using her subscription?

Here is how I understand the relationship between the subscription and the actual data file.

Hopefully if I get any of this wrong and a moderator knows better, they will comment on it.

First off which subscription edition (Starter, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business) determines what features are enabled.

Past that you should consider that the Quicken Desktop data file always has a "companion" Quicken Cloud dataset (on the Quicken server).

Every Quicken data file has a unique Id in it (Note using Quicken copy creates a copy with a new unique Id).

The Quicken Id and this unique Id are used to determine what Quicken Cloud dataset to access. The Quicken Cloud dataset stores information like transactions download for Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect, plus various other information for the other online service like Online Bills.

So, when opened your mother's data file that had been last opened with her subscription it triggered breaking the connection between the Quicken Cloud dataset connected to her Quicken Id/subscription and connected yours to a new one that is connected to your Quicken Id/subscription (but with a different unique Id/connection than what any of your data file(s) have).

Your data file and hers are completely separated (including the Quicken Cloud datasets), but I do see a potential problem if one was to copy the data file back and forth and switch what Quicken Id/subscription is accessing it. There is a syncing process between the Desktop data file and the Cloud dataset. If they get too far off from each other problems might come up.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Momoney
    Momoney Member
    Options

It is quicken classic deluxe.

I never downloaded any of her transactions and never synced any of her stuff for the cloud. I understand the companion file in the cloud is created automatically. She never accesses anything. She is in assisted living. I took over the finances when dad died. She never paid a bill in her life and now is happily living in a nice place, shops and dines and never worries about the bills. We should all be so lucky in old age, lol.

Her subscription is almost done so I want to just use one account without having to pay for both. Unless of course, it's better to have it separate then I'll just do that and keep her subscription active.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, we should all be so lucky! It is very nice that you take care of your mom so well!

There isn't any problem whatever for you to have this all in one subscription.

Signature:
  • Momoney
    Momoney Member
    Options

Ok. good. Thank you.
    So I will just say yes to the ownership of the file and i can reset her incoming monthly or whatever it was that it said i would have to redo.
    She doesn't have many items to work through.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes. I have switched ownership on a few files, and it tends to be pretty easy.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.