Previous reconciled transactions in a account are no longer reconciled.

Options
dw833
dw833 Member ✭✭

It is never ending with quicken. I can't believe where I'm at on my checking account.
Hope I've done something wrong and this is an easy fix.

My checking account is no longer showing that several months of transactions as reconciled.
I know they have been reconciled. The Clr column in the register is displaying a C.
Meaning they are cleared.

Furthermore, the two most recent months Nov/Dec 2023 is also displaying a C for Clr column. This is wrong because I haven't even started a reconciliation process for those months.

I haven't done anything obvious to affect this status. If I can't get this fixed I've got to reconcile six months of transactions.

Searched the help and community, but only non related issues are returned.

Tagged:

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"The Clr column in the register is displaying a C. Meaning they are cleared."

"Furthermore, the two most recent months Nov/Dec 2023 is also displaying a C for Clr column. This is wrong because I haven't even started a reconciliation process for those months."

Just for clarification purposes: the "c" that shows up when a transaction is downloaded means the bank has processed the transaction. It's not dependent on you starting the reconciliation process. If you haven't started the November and December reconciliations but have downloaded transaction for those months I'd expect that those transaction would have "c" in the CLR column.

I don't know what you might have done wrong to cause previous transactions that used to have an "R" in the CLR column to now have "c"s. You might want to step back a day or two to a backup file to see if everything looks OK, run a Validate & Repair on that file, and then move forward.

IF nothing else has gone wrong in the file other than a bunch of transactions that used to be reconciled are now cleared, you should be able to do one big reconciliation from the last "R" transaction to 12/31/2023, so you might want to give that a try. IF that works OK I'd sure do a Validate & Repair on the file, since this would seem to be some sort of data corruption.

• dw833
    dw833 Member ✭✭
    Options

I backup once a month. Went back several months and even the backup file transactions are not marked as reconciled. I know the last time I reconciled was in early December. I reconcile all accounts on the same day. Some of my other accounts are reconciled and others are not.
    If I have several accounts at one institution, they are all right or none are.

Have no idea what has happened. Now I have to reconcile several accounts for 7 months.

Rant time. That is one wasted weekend. Not surprising to me. Looked at several options, but quicken is the only or least bad of all the options.
    Oh well.

• Tom Young
    Options

Do you have "Syncing" on? I'm not sure but that might be the source of the problem. Looking at the Accounts, some reconciled, some not, do you see any pattern there as to the method used for downloading?

• dw833
    dw833 Member ✭✭
    Options

Not sure. What type of syncing? Where is the option located.

• Tom Young
    Options

Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web

• Tom Young
    Options

Upon further review it does look like the syncing aspect - even if you don't have it turned on - is the culprit here for your situation where restoring a "good" backup changes the status of reconciled transactions. It's been said that opening a backup forces a sync of that file to the Quicken "cloud" account, changing what's in the backup you're opening.

One way around this is to go to a good backup and change the file extension from .QDF-backup to simply .QDF. I'd also change the file name just to make it clear that it is a backup you're working in.

• dw833
    dw833 Member ✭✭
    edited January 14
    Options

Restoring the backups didn't help. I went back several months. It is possible that this happened before I noticed it this month.

The syncing option is turned off. I've never turned it on. Why would opening any file sync to the cloud if that is turned off.

How can I turn off all syncing to the quicken cloud.

• Tom Young
    Options

"Why would opening any file sync to the cloud if that is turned off."

Because that's the way Quicken designed it for some reason. A bad move on their part. So either change in file extension before restoring a backup, or create another Quicken file, one with nothing in it, and open that file and delete the cloud account for your "live" file. That seems to not force the sync.

"How can I turn off all syncing to the quicken cloud."

Beyond turning off syncing if it's turned on, you can't, really. The EWC/EWC+ protocols that so many financial institutions are now turning to (to save themselves money) using this same "syncing" mechanism so there's always some syncing going on. You never answered my question about looking to see if there's a pattern to the downloading method between the Accounts that are screwed up and the Accounts that aren't, but I'd bet it has to do with the downloading method, i.e., EWC/EWC+ vs. DC.

I'll make a recommendation here that can save your bacon should this or something like it happen in the future: set the file to make backups every time you close it, and make sure that you have the largest possible number of "daily" backups - 99. Hard drive space is cheap and having all those backups, including the "manual" backups you make from time to time, can reduce the workload if you have to resort to a backup.

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

It sounds like you do have a corrupt data file and it's been that way for a while. Start troubleshooting by validating and super validating your file. If that doesn't show any errors, reset the account(s). If that doesn't resolve the issue(s), Deactivate and Reactivate the account(s).

You should rethink your backup schedule. With the amount of data entered into Quicken, once a month wouldn't be enough protection for me. I backup daily. It only takes 10 seconds or so for peace of mind. I also would recommend reconciling all accounts on a monthly basis. You should have noticed this issue a long time ago and it would've been easier to troubleshoot.

To get up to date on the accounts, use the reconcile routine with the latest (January 2024) statement(s). If you've got accurate transaction entries, it'll reconcile all 7 months and get you up to date. Then…backup!

• chips789654
    chips789654 Member
    Options

This has happened so many time to me in the past couple years.
    I reconcile my accounts every month. Manually.
    Logged on today and I am no longer reconciled going back to July 2023. It's so frustrating! And time consuming!
    I backup every time I use quicken. I have not opened a backup.
    Why does this happen! I just want to keep my accounts current without all this hassle.

• dw833
    dw833 Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Chips 789654, I feel your frustration. After thinking about it, I may have experienced this at some point in the past. Can't remember when, but it must have been years ago. I think that one of the comments about syncing is most likely the cause.

Tom Youngs comments about the syncing when opening a backup could be the culprit.

I have syncing turned off. If at any point I tried to test mobile quicken in the past 8 months, that must have been turned on. And that synching process caused the issue. Also, it seems that other things could cause syncing. Why syncing would wipe out reconciled transactions is beyond me.

I validated the file as recommended and that didn't change anything. Used a previous backup and nothing on that either.

Haven't done it yet, but will reconcile again this week.
    Since I know I last reconciled in November, will try to reconcile from March to November at one time.
    Hopefully, there won't be any imbalance. I don't recall there be any, so I should be fine.

For now, I plan on changing my backup as RalphC recommended.

There is no alternative to Quicken for me. Tried many of the other personal finance software and they don't work for me.
    So I'll continue to work with Quicken and its issues.

Thanks everyone for your help.

This discussion has been closed.