Searching Archive Data as if on your Current File

Options
rvgonzalez
rvgonzalez Member ✭✭

Hello, My Quicken file is 130MB and takes time to upload/download from my iCloud every time I use Quicken ON MY MAC. I want to reduce the size of this file by keeping only the last two years. But here is the catch: I often have to search for data before those two years I want to keep. I am concerned that archiving or creating an EOY copy will not allow me to search all my data.

Thus, am I stuck with keeping my large file since I often search for old data?

Tagged:

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 8
    Options

You can only have one Quicken file open at a time, so you can only search one file at a time. If you split your data into two files for old & new transactions, you won't be able to search the contents of both at the same time.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

(In the future, please don't post the same thing in multiple threads, as it makes it hard to reply and keep going with a discussion.)

The first thing I'll say is not to do this:

My Quicken file is 130MB and takes time to upload/download from my iCloud every time I use Quicken ON MY MAC.

You should not store your Quicken file on iCloud (or any Cloud storage service). Because your Quicken data file is actually a collection of hidden folders and files as well as a database, using cloud storage for your data file is not recommended because it can result in file corruption

It is strongly recommended to keep your active Quicken data file in a location on your Mac's hard drive that is not stored on iCloud. For instance inside your user home folder, create a Quicken folder and place your data file there.

It is fine to store your Quicken-generated backup files on iCloud though, because those files are compressed and protected from corruption. You can do this in Settings > General by clicking the Backup Folder button and selecting a folder on iCloud, or in a folder like Documents which you have set to be stored on iCloud.

That all said, I will note that I have about three decades of data in my Quicken data file. One of the things I love about Quicken is having all that history of our financial life in one, up-to-date data file; I often search for old transactions to see when we purchased something or went somewhere. And with my data file stored locally, it takes only about 3-4 seconds to launch Quicken. 😀

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.