Need Input on How to Transfer 6 Accounts from my Data File into a New Data File.

Options
Leon Pink
Leon Pink Member ✭✭✭

I have been using Quicken Classic for windows since 1984. Current version, Business & Personal, is R53.32 and build No. 27.1.53.32. I am stumped on moving 6 accounts listed in my Data File into a new Data File. Since the beginning I have been using only one Data File for all my accounting needs.

Mid-year added 6 accounts for my uncle after I became his Power of Attorney. I have realized that wasn’t a smart move and need to pull his 6 accounts and establish a new data file for his accounting. Does anyone know how to do this?

Best Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10 Answer ✓
    Options

What I would do was make a copy of the current file and delete what you don't want in the copy leaving the six accounts.

To do this, use File→Backup or Copy File, selecting "Create a copy or template".

It is important that you do it this way so that Quicken will see the new file as a completely different data file (internal file id) than the original file since using a Windows copy of the data file will cause Quicken to think that the two files are the same and cause issues you do not want to deal with.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Did you create your copy of the data file as I described in my earlier response:

To do this, use File→Backup or Copy File, selecting "Create a copy or template".

This is the only way that the internal file id is changed when making a copy.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10 Answer ✓
    Options

What I would do was make a copy of the current file and delete what you don't want in the copy leaving the six accounts.

To do this, use File→Backup or Copy File, selecting "Create a copy or template".

It is important that you do it this way so that Quicken will see the new file as a completely different data file (internal file id) than the original file since using a Windows copy of the data file will cause Quicken to think that the two files are the same and cause issues you do not want to deal with.

• Leon Pink
    Leon Pink Member ✭✭✭
    Options

#splasher, Thanks for the input. I will be a weekend project with many personal accounts.

• Leon Pink
    Leon Pink Member ✭✭✭
    Options

#splasher, any idea why all the accounts I deleted are still appearing when I do the one step updates? I gave the file a new name, tried to delete the accounts from my other file, individually disconnected from the downloads, but yet they come back each time. I also checked the account list, looked to see if any hidden accounts were listed and none appeared. So, only the accounts that should be there are. What am I missing? Is the internal file id different from changing the file name? if so, how do I go about making that change?

Thanking you in advance.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Did you create your copy of the data file as I described in my earlier response:

To do this, use File→Backup or Copy File, selecting "Create a copy or template".

This is the only way that the internal file id is changed when making a copy.

• Leon Pink
    Leon Pink Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 23
    Options

#splasher, my error, I must have used "Complete Backup" instead. I'll go back to the new file that isn't working and "Create a copy or template" and then save that file, with a new name, since all of the wrong accounts have already been deleted.

Thanks again and appreciate your input.

This discussion has been closed.