Adding Brokerage account from 2018

cmorus
cmorus Member ✭✭
edited February 10 in Investing (Windows)

I started a Brokerage account (IRA) in December 2018. How do I add all the transactions to the account from that time to now?

I understand it won't be a One-Step Update!

Thank you.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl Quicken Windows Other SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Do you need all the history? You could add the Account now with the current values. You don't really need to track IRA accounts since you are taxed when you take a withdrawal or do a conversion to ROTH. The whole withdrawal is taxed as ordinary income and not as investment gains/losses. It doesn't matter what your cost is or dividends, etc.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Although downloading of transactions is generally limited to a fairly short window of time, some financial institutions do have the ability to go back further in time via downloads from their web site. What is the financial institution involved here?

As @volvogirl said, one approach, if you're only trying to get this Account established properly for "going forward" purposes, would be to establish your security holdings as of "today" by using the Added action. That action will let you get your number of shares properly stated and with total basis - not "lot by lot" basis - also correctly stated. (The financial institution) should have both the number of shares and the cost basis of those shares readily available.) From that point subsequent transactions - buys, sells, dividends, etc. - would keep everything properly stated.

If you do want a complete history stretching back to 2018 and that history isn't available from the financial institution's web site, then at that point you're going to have to manually enter that history. If you've not been all that active in that account then the job shouldn't be too onerous.

• cmorus
    cmorus Member ✭✭

Thank you both. I think I'll add the account with current values!

This discussion has been closed.