Customization of Dashboard Cards

Options

I'm using the latest version of Quicken Classic for Mac. There is a lot of work being done on the new Dashboard cards which are beginning to look interesting, but are not yet useful. My interest is in being able to customize the Net Worth card to specify which accounts should be used in calculating the values. It is apparently including ALL accounts whether they are hidden or not, and I would like to select which accounts should be considered.

There is no "customize" button, and the only working button at the moment just lets me select colors. For this card to be of any use to me, I need to be able to specify accounts.

I, and probably many others, would appreciate you getting this implemented soon.

Best Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

@DMSilverfox The good news is that the Quicken Mac product manager said last year that customization of Dashboard cards were definitely planned and would be forthcoming. Now, exactly what we will and won't be able to customize is unknown until they release something, and we don't know when that will be (But I'm guessing sometime in the first half of this year). A lot of people asked to be able to exclude investment income from the Income & Expense card — and they acknowledged that. If you want, you can add your vote, and optionally comments, in this existing Idea thread (feature request) for Quicken Mac:

The early parts of the thread were about the ability to arrange cards in the Dashboard, and they have addressed most of those requests; later in the thread, it gets into the desire to be able to control which accounts are included. So please add your vote for that thread.

I do have a question for you, though. You said you want your Net Worth to not include accounts which are hidden. I'm not sure why you have non-zero accounts hidden, but if you don't want them counted in your Net Worth, that is what "Separate" accounts is for — accounts which are not part of your Net Worth. (Examples might be accounts for your children or an aging parent.) You can mark accounts as Separate and Hidden if you don't want to see them in your sidebar. Might that solve your need?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • DMSilverfox
    DMSilverfox Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@jacobs Thank you for your very thorough and complete response to my concern. I will add my vote to the requirements.

Thank you also for your pointer about "Separate" accounts. The last time I really looked at the Hide and Show screen I didn't see it there. I have several closed accounts that predate the current incarnation of Quicken and even though they were closed, they were carrying a non-zero balance. I used the "Separate" feature to not include them in the Net Worth Card so now that number matches my monthly Net Worth report. This really addresses my needs, so I will consider this question closed. Thanks for being there with the good information! Much Appreciated!

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

@DMSilverfox The good news is that the Quicken Mac product manager said last year that customization of Dashboard cards were definitely planned and would be forthcoming. Now, exactly what we will and won't be able to customize is unknown until they release something, and we don't know when that will be (But I'm guessing sometime in the first half of this year). A lot of people asked to be able to exclude investment income from the Income & Expense card — and they acknowledged that. If you want, you can add your vote, and optionally comments, in this existing Idea thread (feature request) for Quicken Mac:

The early parts of the thread were about the ability to arrange cards in the Dashboard, and they have addressed most of those requests; later in the thread, it gets into the desire to be able to control which accounts are included. So please add your vote for that thread.

I do have a question for you, though. You said you want your Net Worth to not include accounts which are hidden. I'm not sure why you have non-zero accounts hidden, but if you don't want them counted in your Net Worth, that is what "Separate" accounts is for — accounts which are not part of your Net Worth. (Examples might be accounts for your children or an aging parent.) You can mark accounts as Separate and Hidden if you don't want to see them in your sidebar. Might that solve your need?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • DMSilverfox
    DMSilverfox Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

@jacobs Thank you for your very thorough and complete response to my concern. I will add my vote to the requirements.

Thank you also for your pointer about "Separate" accounts. The last time I really looked at the Hide and Show screen I didn't see it there. I have several closed accounts that predate the current incarnation of Quicken and even though they were closed, they were carrying a non-zero balance. I used the "Separate" feature to not include them in the Net Worth Card so now that number matches my monthly Net Worth report. This really addresses my needs, so I will consider this question closed. Thanks for being there with the good information! Much Appreciated!

• rswoods
    rswoods Member
    Options

I'm adding my vote to allow users to choose which accounts are included on the dashboard income and expense card.

Thanks!

This discussion has been closed.