Quicken attachments and PDF files

Options
stwdjj
stwdjj Member

I have an older copy of Quicken and want to upgrade. I want to store PDF files as attachments for bills, statements, etc. Will Quicken allow the attachment of PDF files? I am getting mixed messages from the post on the web. Almost all attachments are multiple pages so scanning to a image file is not practical.

Please help

David Johnson

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

IMO, you really don't want to use the attachment feature. Your data file will get huge, it shouldn't slow down Quicken, but backups will take longer and a lot of disk space. The only way to deal with them in Quicken is one at a time, there are no way to do anything to them in mass or in groups.

Create a folder structure to store them outside of Quicken.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have a different opinion than @splasher. I do use the attachment feature and find it very handy for researching past transactions. However, I do purge three year old attachments that are not needed anymore to keep the data file size manageable.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, Quicken allows PDF attachments. But if they're multiple pages, you have to scan them to a file first, not try to attach directly from the scanner.

I agree with @splasher that QWin's attachment mechanism sucks. I'm too far down the road to undo all of it, but if I were starting fresh, I would keep the relevant files outside of my QDF file and elsewhere where I could find them.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.