Subcategory for accounts (Q Mac Business)

Options
BruceNeeley
BruceNeeley Member ✭✭

Need the ability to add subcategories to accounts, I just started using Home and Businees for MAC and i realize that this is just the start of their product. I would like to see a report called Balance sheet that would need to have subcategories on accounts.

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I'm not sure if you're using wrong terminology or I'm not understanding your request. The terminology can get confusing, because in a business general ledger, "accounts" represent assets, liabilities, income and expenses, whereas in Quicken accounts are assets and liabilities and categories are income and expenses.

Categories can be designated as business or personal, and categories can have sub-categories (and sub-sub-categories). Accounts in Quicken mirror accounts at banks and brokerages in the real world, so I'm not sure what a subcategory of an account would represent.

In Quicken Mac, accounts aren't designated as business or personal. That's because some people will use the same checking, credit card, etc accounts to commingle business and personal transactions.

FYI, the developers have said a Balance Sheet report is planned for a future release.

In the meantime a Net Worth report is basically the same as a balance sheet except that it doesn't have an equity section. That is, it lists asset accounts, grouped by type and totaled, and liability accounts, grouped by type and totaled. You can select which accounts to include in the report, so if you have some accounts which are strictly for business and some which are strictly for personal, you can create a Net Worth report for just the accounts used for business.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • joeandrews1
    joeandrews1 Member
    Options

I have a bank savings account which to Quicken is an asset. Some of the money in the account is for one purpose and the rest is intended for another purpose. "sub" accounts would allow me to keep track of how much is allocated for each purpose.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

That sounds to me more like the Savings Goals feature which is (still) absent from Quicken Mac.
    You may want to try using Tags for each specific savings purpose transaction, e.g., Vacation, CarRepairs, etc.
    A report by Tag, if available in Q Mac, should tell you how much money you have for each purpose.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@joeandrews1 You can add your vote and, optionally, a comment in the existing Idea thread for the savings goals feature:

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.