Quicken register balance is incorrect

Options
vberry1
vberry1 Member

I use Quicken Classic Vers. R53.32 on Windows 11 Home Vers 22H2. I have used Quicken for decades. It is not connected to my bank. I reconcile manually every month with my bank statement and last did so on Dec 29. Yesterday I noticed that my checking balance in Quicken had jumped by $20,000. I can find no unreconciled entries or duplicates, nor any evidence when it was incorporated into my balance. The error seems to track back in time past my last 4 or 5 reconciliations, during which it had not shown up. Help!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You may have changed or deleted a transaction in another account that had a transfer to the checking account. Look though the All Transactions at the top of the account bar. There has been a problem with Quicken changing the beginning balance on the account. Check the first entry in the register.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You may have changed or deleted a transaction in another account that had a transfer to the checking account. Look though the All Transactions at the top of the account bar. There has been a problem with Quicken changing the beginning balance on the account. Check the first entry in the register.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• vberry1
    vberry1 Member
    Options

Thank you volvogirl. Your reply sent me back to the register one more time and I uncovered 3 transactions that had been previously entered and cleared, but then disappeared. I think I am back on track, at least the balance looks to be correct. I'm still not sure what caused it, but I was trying to set up a budget early in January and I may have clicked some wrong boxes along the way.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You have to watch out for what you do in a report since you can delete transactions while in a report thinking that you are just tweaking the report, but it affects the register also.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• vberry1
    vberry1 Member
    Options

splasher, I think that is what happened. I’m going to stick with what I know how to do!

This discussion has been closed.