Business versus Personal expenses Category Groups in Q Classic Business and Personal

Options

Why does my first level category "business Expenses" show up in the "personal Expenses" group? I can reassign the categories in question to a new "custom group" that I created, but that appears to be only window dressing as the categories still show up as personal expenses when sorting categories by group or attempting to work with them for tax purposes. I am an experienced Q user (Q Classic Business and Personal with the latest updates) using the softward since the 1990s, so when I say that I have tried everything and am frustrated that I can't resolve this it is an understatement. Been living with the problem of many years, but sure would like to be able to either resolve in quickly or have a fix that resolves it in an upcoming update. Again, when selecting the action "assign category groups" in the category list window is where I think I should be able to move the category "business expenses" to the group business expenses, but I am only able to assign categories to "custom groups" and not the Quicken created groups. It appears that if I create a new group it is by default assigned to personal expenses group and cannot be moved to the business expense group.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To be included in business reports (and I don't know where else) you have to assign the category to a schedule C or E tax line item number.  To check the tax line assignment open the Category list by either clicking on the Category Icon or go to Tools-Category List or Ctrl+Shift+C.  Then select the category and right click on it to Edit it.  Click on the Tax Reporting Tab and check the box for Tax related and pick a Schedule C or E: tax line item.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In order for a Category to appear in the Business Expenses group, it must have a Schedule C Tax line item. I bet if you assign it the "Schedule C:Other Business Expenses" line item, that will move it to the Business Expenses Category Group. That will also make it appear in the Business reports.

To avoid confusion, you might want to give your Business Expenses Category a slightly different name - "My Bus Exp" or something.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.