Why do we not have the lifetime planner in the CDN version?

Options
Oldgrey
Oldgrey Member ✭✭

As per the title i see there is a lifetime planner option in the US option but not for the Canadian version.?

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

One might actually ask the question why is there even a Canadian version at all?

After all Intuit cutoff all the other non-US versions in 2004.

I think the only reason is because they were implemented in the same code base. Whereas the other foreign versions were implemented by letting some other company use a copy of the code.

Way back when someone must have come up with the idea that the Canadian version couldn't be that different and as such included some flags to put some lipstick on the US version and sell to Canada. That seems to be the current state of Quicken Mac right now.

Then as time went on someone decided that they should branch off the Canadian version. And from the history it got its own development group, and they made some pretty good progress. For instance, of all of the products Quicken Windows Canadian has the best multiple currency support. But in time that group was eliminated. Maybe even around 2004 when they did kill the copy code contracts with the other foreign versions.

So, you have two branches that were maintained by "US developers" (quoted this because I believe these days all of the Windows developers are actually in India).

A bit more history, about a year or so ago it seems that they merged the Canadian branch back into the US one, but it still mostly behaves the same as before, its behavior is just more controlled at runtime instead of at compile time.

So, why does this history matter?

Because I see very little "Canadian" development. What I see is US development and "if this can be directly used in Canadian version, OK include that."

The "Lifetime Planner" name is a "marketing talk". Its real name is "Retirement Planner". That is what its name was before some marketing guys said, "This can be used for predicting before retirement".

Why you term it right as "retirement" you quickly see that rules that it applies for US will not be right for the Canadian users. Bottom line is that a separate "Lifetime Planner" would be needed to be created, or at the least a pretty extensive revision to the current one.

And when you are looking at a development plan that is really just focused on the US market, and "if it works" for Canadian it become obvious of why this feature and plenty more are "US only".

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Oldgrey
    Oldgrey Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for the feedback its sad that the software gets less and less useful for Canadians while paying the same price as the US users.

There are luckily alternatives in Canada for the retirement planner today typically at cost so less of a major concern to me but still nice to have in Quicken.

I have been a Quicken user since 1998 and its too bad they have not evolved the software beyond eye candy for Canada

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

less useful for Canadians while paying the same price as the US users.

I'm afraid it is worse than that. Canadian Deluxe $71.88, US Deluxe $59.88, even accounting for the difference in currency, Canadian users are paying more. What's more US users can buy from retailers and at times get better deals, and the Canadian users can't.

Signature:
  • Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not that it really matters, but the current USD:CAD is 1.34 and $59.88 * 1.34 = $80.24. By this "math" Canadians are getting a bargain, aside from the retail sales available in the USA.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Oops, I did the conversion backward!

Signature:
  • JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW anytime you want to exchange my CAD for US just let me know, you will make my visits to the US much more affordable! 🤣

This discussion has been closed.