Quicken prevents selling of all shares, suggests selling 1 share less

Options
nick.koch
nick.koch Member ✭✭
edited February 15 in Investing (Windows)

I have 22 shares of WBD from a spinoff that I sold. To record the sale, I selected "sell all shares" in the Sell transaction box, 22 shares populates in the field for shares to sell. When I enter Done, a message box appears saying I can only sell 21 shares. I tried entering 22 by hand but get the same error message.

I'm familiar with the post below and its suggestion to look at the number of shares available as shown on the Investing Dashboard. However, I still see 22 shares on the dashboard.

In addition, I tried to update my share balance to 22 but Quicken prevented this saying "No adjustment was necessary". So, I went to the painstaking task of adding all the fractional shares of WBD added from each purchase of AT&T stock. The sum, minus the sale of the fractional share converted to cash during the spinoff transaction, equals exactly 22.

I'm at a loss for how to record the sale of the 22(!) shares in Quicken. I would have thought selecting "Sell all shares" would accommodate the possibility of a rounding error from having 21.999999 shares but apparently not.

Any suggestions from the Q community around this annoying bug?

Answers

• nick.koch
    nick.koch Member ✭✭
    Options

UPDATE: If I add 0.000001 shares (to the date of the spin-off) so I have a balance of 22.000001 shares, I am allowed to sell all 22.000001 shares. I'm shaking my head at you, Quicken….

This discussion has been closed.