Budgeting discrepancy

Options

I am doing Budgets in the Planning tool.

I don't know why the "To Date Balance" $290 is not the same as the January balance $340. I've checked both of "everything else" and "household" rollover amount from previous month has been set to zero.

Tagged:

Comments

• Adience
    Adience Member ✭✭
    Options

just to add to this, at the very bottom it's showing a rollover reserve, but I checked every rollover category, all previous month from 2023 has been set to zero. what is this reserve?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not sure why your To Date balance number aren't correct. I would try turning off the rollovers and see what happens and then turn them back on. Also, you should see if File → Validate & Repair, will help.

As for the second question, that is supposed to be the rollover total as the end of that month. As in how much you have to apply to the next month. In other words, say I have $50 rollover surplus in Clothing, and $50 surplus in Dining. The total would be $100. If the next month I exceed the Clothing budget by $60, that would rollover a -$10 and if I hit my Dining budget exactly, I would still have the $50, so the total would be $50 -$10 = $40.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Adience
    Adience Member ✭✭
    edited February 5
    Options

Hi @Chris_QPW , thanks for your reply. I tried some of your recommendations:

• Validate & Repair: the software didn't find any error.
    • turned off ALL rollovers: it's still showing me -77 Rollover Reserve for January, and 218 for February. If I don't have any rollover, shouldn't these numbers be "nil" or Zero?

**Edit since I just posted this": my error on the second point, I had 1 category collapsed, so missed to turn off some. Now that I've turned off everything, the reserve line is gone. so all good.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For what it worth, I think the rollovers that rollover both the positive and the negative work properly.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@Adience I'll have a try. Maybe one of these will work. Quirky problems get quirky solutions. Let us know.

After each of these steps you might want to click off of the budget screen and back in.

1. Backup your data file
    2. Click on the -60 in the January balance column to bring up the new window. Click "edit", then type 0.00, click save. Make sure to enter 0.00 and exit. Check if correct balance corrects
    3. Next, go to the Household subcategory rollover icon and in the dropdown, select "undo all rollover edits for 2024". Reset the rollover in January 2024 as in Step 1.
    4. Next, go to your 2023 budget and in December 2023, do the same as in Step 2. Check if January 2024 balance corrects.
    5. Next, go to your 2023 budget and click on the rollover icon to the left of January 2023, in Household subcategory. Turn rollover off. This will change your 2023 budget category results somewhat. Check if January 2024 balance corrects.
    6. Lastly, try renaming the household subcategory to something else. I get suspicious when a subcategory is named the same as the category above. Check if January 2024 balance corrects..