Return YTD dollars are not correct

Options
flyboy03051
flyboy03051 Member ✭✭
edited February 17 in Investing (Windows)

Hello, I use Quicken to track approx 20 different investment accounts. On the Investments tab, Portfolio screen, I display all of my accounts. In the display I show the market value on that day and another column displays "Return YTD" in dollars. I am expecting the Return YTD to calculate the difference in value from 12/31/23 to the current date. I change the date on the display between 12/31/23 and "todays" date and the display shows the market value on 12/31/23 and the current market value for each account. 14 of my accounts displays the correct Return YTD in dollars. Six of my accounts do NOT display the amount I am expecting. Am I mis understanding something ? Why would Return YTD not be the difference in market value from 12/31/23 to the market value of the current date?

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 17 Answer ✓
    Options

Just calculating the differences in the account balances since the start of the year is not difficult, but what do you want to do about money or securities that were added or removed from the accounts? What about dividends and other distributions?

You might consider the Investing > Investing Activity or Net Worth & Balances > Account Balances reports.

Also look at the Investing > Investment Income report. If you go to the Advanced customization tab and select Include unrealized gains, it will include changes in the values of your securities.

The report I find most useful is the Investing > Investment Performance report. This shows annualized percentage gain or loss, using an Internal Rate of Return (IRR) calculation. For YTD calculations, set the date range to Yearly and Current year.

QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Options

The short answer is that it depends on what has been going on in the account. See this discussion

• flyboy03051
    flyboy03051 Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the fast response and the detailed answer. Are there any other methods or calculations that I can use withing Quicken that would display the value or gain YTD? Too bad quicken does not allow user defined calculations but I'm sure programming that type of option or feature would be very complex. I'm sure I could export my investment account information for 12/31/23 into an excel spreadsheet and then again for the current date and then calculate the YTD difference but it seems like a lot of work to get basic information that I believe Quicken should be able to provide.

• Jim_Harman
    edited January 17 Answer ✓
    Options

Just calculating the differences in the account balances since the start of the year is not difficult, but what do you want to do about money or securities that were added or removed from the accounts? What about dividends and other distributions?

You might consider the Investing > Investing Activity or Net Worth & Balances > Account Balances reports.

Also look at the Investing > Investment Income report. If you go to the Advanced customization tab and select Include unrealized gains, it will include changes in the values of your securities.

The report I find most useful is the Investing > Investment Performance report. This shows annualized percentage gain or loss, using an Internal Rate of Return (IRR) calculation. For YTD calculations, set the date range to Yearly and Current year.

This discussion has been closed.