Why is one of two Capital Bank joint credit cards appearing twice in Quicken Classic Deluxe

Options

I use a Windows PC, Quicken Classic Deluxe R53.32. In Accounts, Quicken shows my husband's transactions populated within my cc Account (named as my credit card number) , but also shows as transactions in a separate account (his cc number) in Quicken.

Do I delete the account that is solely his transactions? Or, learn how to separate my credit card charges from his credit card charges in the Accounts listing? No secrecy issues.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have 2 credit cards that do that: Citi Costco Rewards Visa and Chase Freedom+ Visa. In both cases, I am listed with the financial institutions as the primary so all of my wife's transactions with her cards (different card numbers) are linked to and show up in my card accounts both at the credit card company and in Quicken. Might that be the situation with your cc account where you are on record at the cc company as the primary and he is on record as the secondary?

If that is the case (and I suspect it is), then you probably will need to contact the cc company to see if they can delink your and your husbands cards, at least for reporting purposes, so his transactions don't get combined with yours when you download from them.

Or, unless you have some need to keep his transactions separate from yours, you could simply delete the account in Quicken that is solely his transactions. That would probably be the simplest solution and then there would be no need to contact the cc company.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Options

I have 2 credit cards that do that: Citi Costco Rewards Visa and Chase Freedom+ Visa. In both cases, I am listed with the financial institutions as the primary so all of my wife's transactions with her cards (different card numbers) are linked to and show up in my card accounts both at the credit card company and in Quicken. Might that be the situation with your cc account where you are on record at the cc company as the primary and he is on record as the secondary?

If that is the case (and I suspect it is), then you probably will need to contact the cc company to see if they can delink your and your husbands cards, at least for reporting purposes, so his transactions don't get combined with yours when you download from them.

Or, unless you have some need to keep his transactions separate from yours, you could simply delete the account in Quicken that is solely his transactions. That would probably be the simplest solution and then there would be no need to contact the cc company.

4802777592 Member
    Options

Thank you, Boatnmaniac, your answer was very clear. As banks take time to contact for IT questions, I took your good advice to delete the duplicate account. Let's hope it doesn't "magically" reappear.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Thanks for letting me know. IMHO I think you made the right choice….it's what I would have done, as well.

Your husband's account should not "magically" reappear. But if you ever need to reset your account or Deactivate/Reactivate it, again, it is possible that the process will download both accounts, again. If/when that happens, Quicken will prompt you to decide what to do with the data. Then you need to make sure to select "Do not add" for your husband's account and for your account be sure to select "Link to…" your existing account in Quicken.

This discussion has been closed.