Idea for Quick Mac

Options
eno888
eno888 Member ✭✭
edited February 18 in Investing (Mac)

• Enable users to add the cost basis of investments if using the 'simple tracking' method.

Tagged:

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

As I said in the other thread you posted about this, I don't see how that's possible. Each time Quicken contacts your financial institution, it sends Quicken the holding name, number of shares and price or market value. The number of shares could change from one connection to the next — purchases, reinvested dividends, reinvested capital gains — all of which affect the cost basis. If Quicken doesn't have the history of those transactions, it can't update the cost basis even if you entered it. So you'd need to look on the brokerage website each time to see the current costs basis in order to update it in Quicken — but why? If you're looking on the brokerage website each time to see the cost basis, why do the extra work to update it in Quicken.

(If someone else knows otherwise, please post to set me straight. 😉 We can have a moderator turn this into a Idea thread so other users can vote for it — if there's a way this could be possible.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.