Problem with Bill reminders

Options
TheLex
TheLex Member ✭✭
edited February 20 in Investing (Windows)

I've used the Bill Reminder feature for a very long time and have found it very helpful, especially in planning. Within the past year or so, however, several reminders seem to be getting dropped. The result is the reminder believes its most recent transaction has already been entered in the register, and it, therefore, establishes the following month's reminder as the current one. It seems like it only happens on automatic credit card payments of things like CATV bills. The result for me is that these transactions end up getting dropped. I only discover them when I reconcile the credit card account, which I regret to admit happens irregularly. I download transactions almost daily, but sometimes the missing bill reminders don't get downloaded either.

Any thoughts? I'm completely up to date on the software version.

thanks

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have no special insight on this problem, but Quicken is the creation of an early "database" product and what you describe seems to imply some corruption in that data base.

The first thing I'd try is a Validation of the file to see if that sets things to right.

If I was ambitious enough I might even try a Quicken copy process before hand (File > Copy or Backup File… > Create a copy or template) and then run a Validation on the copy. (Understand, this process means you'll have to re-connect all downloading Accounts afterwards. But the copy process itself has been known to fix some problems in a file.)

Another thing that might work is to delete the bad Reminders, then create them again, maybe with a slightly different name for the payee, just to be able to distinguish "old" vs. "new."

• TheLex
    TheLex Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions, Tom. I'll give them a try. It occured to me to dump the offending reminders and try again, but I'll give the copy/validate process a try first. Been a Quicken user for decades. Couldnt live without it, but sometimes…

This discussion has been closed.