Reconcile a Heloc account.

Options
Albenkert
Albenkert Member ✭✭

I am using it as a checking account. I would be happy if it even just worked as a credit card account. Although it would be great to print checks as well.

However the main issues is being able to reconcile it. I have it set up to download from my bank so I get the transactions but no way to print checks or reconcile.

Tagged:

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you have it set up as a checking Account in Quicken then the standard Reconcile (Ctrl-r) process should be available to you, so I don't understand why you say it isn't.

The more common way of accounting for a HELOC in Quicken is by creating a credit card Account but that, too, should allow for reconciliation.

In either approach as to what sort of Account you use it's nothing more than money in/money out transactions that creates a balance, and should be readily reconcilable.

• Albenkert
    Albenkert Member ✭✭
    Options

Great answer but if you down load it you are forced to have it as a HELOC. Also the two suggestions other than a checking account do not let you print checks from quicken. The change needed is a Heloc should be treated as a line of credit and marked as a checking account by quicken. That would work but quicken has to modify its software.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I can't test any of this because I don't have a HELOC. If I do attempt to add an offline HELOC then Quicken does set it up as a credit card.

However, once you set up a loan as a "downloading" loan you lose all access to the loan register. The conceit here is that the lender is always sending you the the exact correct entries, so you have no need for a register, you'd probably only screw it up. But real life doesn't always work that way. (There's plenty of posts in here complaining about that.)

I'd think that taking the approach here of first setting up the loan as a non-downloading Account, and then afterwards connecting that Account to the lender would have the loan appear as a "credit card" in your file, but nonetheless you're still not going to have any access to the register.

If you want to print checks and you want to have access to the reconcile function you need to revert to a manual, non-downloading loan.

• Albenkert
    Albenkert Member ✭✭
    Options

At least until quicken sets it up so you can add a Heloc as a checking account.

This discussion has been closed.