R54.9 Issues out of the gate - corrupted data file (edit)

Options
BryanK
BryanK Member ✭✭

Hello wanted to report an issue I experienced when updating to 54.9 which was available to me today. After installing the update and re-launching Quicken got an error that my data file was corrupt. I had to revert to the backup Quicken automatically creates before installing an update in order to open my file in the new version. Also, Quicken crashed on the first One Step Update I launched after getting back in. Reopening after the crash, things seem to have settled down. I am able to download transactions and use the app without any issues.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

After you restored the backup, did you try Validating it? It sounds like the update discovered issues in your corrupt data file. It's unlikely that the update caused the corruption.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• BryanK
    BryanK Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi validation found no QDF errors. There were some "might be missing" stock splits and some transactions that referenced deleted accounts. I'm willing chalk it up to a freak occurrence. I've been doing Quicken updates many years and never had a corrupted file issue

• BryanK
    BryanK Member ✭✭
    edited January 20
    Options

Upon further investigation there is more info to add. The size of my (corrupted) data file after the update to 54.9 is equal to the file size of the data file when I restored from backup and ran a manual validate, which is about 5MB larger than my pre-54.9 data file. It appears that as part of the update to 54.9 quicken performed a validate on the data file. Being a software engineer myself I am thinking of scenarios which could result in corruption of the file. Since running an update needs Quicken to close/terminate itself in order to launch the newly installed version I am speculating that perhaps the this termination happened before the file validation was complete (resulting in corruption). A few other posts have appeared on this board since mine related to weirdness with the data file and the latest version. I wish Quicken would halt all new features and focus primarily on bug/stability fixes for the next few release cycles.

• SteveK2021
    SteveK2021 Member
    Options

One Step Update problem. I had a similar issue with QDF file corruption. I am currently on Quicken Deluxe version R54.16. I have several Quicken QDF files. My master account has most of my daily financial information, bank accounts, credit cards, mortgage… I have some other files to segregate some brokerage accounts. After executing the One Step Update on one of the brokerage files, ten credit card accounts (current and old) from the master file were added with transactions back to Aug 2022 ready to be accepted. The brokerage accounts are completely different from the credit card institutions. I was able to delete the credit card accounts and my file seems to be correct as of last month.

When I called support for some assistance, I was floored to be told that Quicken has major design flaw.

The chat representative asked where my QDF file is located. I responed: D:\Account Data\Quicken Data\MyPortfolio.qdf. Then I was told the following: "quicken has been designed to be used on the c drive — C:\users\your user\documents"

Apparently any other file location may result in problems including file corruption. Backup your files often. We have been warned.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20
    Options

@SteveK2021

Is your D drive local? If so, it should not be an issue.

How did you start your files that are not your master accounts file? If the other files were Windows copies or Quicken copies made before subscription versions, the files would have the same internal file IDs. The download transaction data getting mixed up between files with the same internal ID is a far more likely corruption cause. If you are using Quicken mobile or web or just syncing to the Quicken cloud, that will make the chances of corruption greater.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.