Is there a way to set and forget report column widths, either by default or in a saved report?

Options
HardRightEdge
HardRightEdge Member ✭✭
edited March 14 in Reports (Windows)

Windows 11, 17" UHD laptop screen

The title captures the nub of it. I'm especially interested in the Itemized Category report which I use for about 80% of my reporting. The resizing of columns in saved Itemized Category reports is not retained when the saved report is redisplayed. I'd be interested in finding a way to save column width changes in a particular report or change the default for the generic report on initial display. Whether displaying a saved report or a generic default report, resizing the columns every time just to get all the fields on the screen at once and in a mostly readable format is a constant annoyance.

If there are no user settings to handle this then I'd find it hard to believe that the default widths of the columns are optimal for the most number of users and this then becomes a complaint. The following columns seem excessively wide: Account at about 35 characters, Num at about 15 characters, and Tag at about 10 characters. Descri… (which doesn't even display the full column heading) is only 7 characters, another head scratcher. Tag, Clr and Amount spill off my 17" screen in maximized display mode—gotta scroll right just to see the $ amount and have to resize the fields just to get them all on the screen at once.

These default column sizes look more random than a product of considered analysis. In fact, a companion report, Itemized Payees, with the same default columns and retrieved data has different column sizes, somewhat more rational in getting all fields on the screen at initial display, though not what I would think would be optimal.

I could be wrong but it seems to me these annoying default column widths came about in the last year or so. I don't recall it being an issue in the somewhat distant past.

Comments

• HardRightEdge
    HardRightEdge Member ✭✭
    Options

Crickets

• Alan_Jay_Weiner
    Alan_Jay_Weiner Member
    edited February 6
    Options

One of the many FOREVER bugs that make me despise Quicken. Every freaking time I change a report, or a report updates from a transaction change, the columns change to totally inane widths. Description becomes "Desc…" width, while "Clr" becomes wide! Change it, then update another transaction and it changes back again. Fix this, Quicken! It has been a problem for years!

• Richardxyz
    Richardxyz Member
    Options

I was on phone for over an hour with support on this issue. They even took over my screen to experience the problem. Bottom line they are going to do nothing. They apologized for the column width issue but have no intention to address. Enjoy Quicken as is. I guess their annual fee doesn’t generate enough income to fix.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For what it is worth, my saved reports do remember the column widths, the size and position of the window. People have reported this isn't true from the for, well, forever.

One thing you might try is changing some setting in the report (you can't change it back) and then saving with the columns how you want. In the past (but not for me now) that was needed to trigger something that made Quicken think it should save the settings including the column widths.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.