Why can't I rename payees for downloaded transactions?

Options
Pacoinconn
Pacoinconn Member ✭✭

I'm having the exact trouble that the orignal poster had in the following discussion:

I also have those checkboxes selected however I never get the dialog box asking for confirmation, etc.

I would have posted this to the above discussion however that discussion has been closed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. (Right now I end up manually renaming these transactions.)

Thanks.

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Quicken renaming process occurs before the user ever sees the downloaded transaction.

The automatic creation of a renaming rule only occurs when an existing register transaction has its payee manually renamed. This is clearly stated in Quicken Help.

Once a downloaded transaction has been Accepted into its Quicken register, the payee can be renamed - and a Renaming Rule will be automatically created at that time, if the appropriate Quicken Preference has been sent.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Pacoinconn
    Pacoinconn Member ✭✭
    Options

@mshiggins Thx for the reply however, for reasons that are not clear to me (and others), Renaming Rules are not working…even though I think "appropriate" Quicken preferences have been set. Can you pls verify:

And:

Are there other settings I should check?

Thanks in advance for your help.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Check what the renaming rule has set, Quicken Name or If payee contains.

Most likely you want If payee contains even though Quicken Name is the default.

Quicken Name does some kind of list look up, whereas If payee contains looks at the payee and memo fields.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Pacoinconn
    Pacoinconn Member ✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW All of the rules are set to "if payee contains". I wonder if I should simply delete the renaming rules and manually make the changes for the downloads with "weird" payees.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not sure about this one (why the renaming rules aren't taking affect).

Note that the suggesting of a renaming rule only happens just after it has been downloaded, you can't come in later and change it and expect it to prompt you to add a renaming rule. And even if it creates that renaming rule, it won't apply until the next download.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Pacoinconn, you said in the original post in this discussion that - like the other user you quoted - you were having the following problem:

1. I click on the Item in the "Downloaded Transactions" which hasn't been renamed.
    2. The item then appears in my Register
    3. I rename the Payee
    4. Hit Enter to add the item to the register
    5. And NO window pops ups to ask me if I should create a Renaming rule.

My previous reply intended to convey that, while step #3 does manually change the payee name; it does NOT trigger Quicken to ask if you want to create a renaming rule from that name change. I believe that is working as Quicken intends.

Quicken only asks if you want to create a renaming rule when you change a payee name in a downloaded transaction that has already been Accepted - in a transaction that is already in a Quicken account register.

However you replied to my comment by saying " ... Renaming Rules are not working ....".

When you say "renaming rules are not working", that suggests that your EXISTING renaming rules are not being applied to payees in downloaded transactions - which is a different problem than Quicken not offering to create a NEW renaming rule when you manually change a payee name.

So originally you seemed to be asking why Quicken was not CREATING (or offering to create) new renaming rules; now you seem to be saying that Quicken is not APPLYING existing renaming rules to downloaded payees (renaming rules can ONLY be applied to newly downloaded payees, and the rules are applied before the user ever sees the downloaded transaction).

If your problem is that your existing renaming rules are not working, I suggest you post an example: post your renaming rule and the exact downloaded payee name that you believe that rule should have renamed, but did not.

-JP

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.