Citi Credit Card Tranasactions

Options
jjrichards
jjrichards Member ✭✭

I am running Win 10 and Quicken Premier . Yesterday I used one step update and Citi Credit card loaded transactions over 15 months prior . The issue I have is I categorize transactions . When I updated many of them going back over 5 years were left blank ?

I have three questions

1. Has anyone else had this same issue ?
  2. In lieu of trying to go one by one ( understand on some of the same merchants and Utilities they will prefill prior transactions . Issue I have is some of the transactions I split items purchased from the same merchant ie Costco . I can review one of my old backups to review the categories , however not sure if there is a quicker method?
  3. Is there a way just to re download Citi Corp credit card transactions only from a prior back up.

Thank you

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

• #1 Provided you have this preference on:

Quicken will make a guess at categorizing new payees, but it is just a guess based mostly on the payee name. And it very possible for it to be blank if it doesn't know what to categorize it as. In time you will build up a list of payee renaming rules and memorized payee list entries. The renaming rules "normalize the payee's name" from something like "Safeway #343434" to "Safeway" and then you memorize a "Safeway" payee with the category you want assigned to it.

There are various features in Quicken to allow you to categorize multiple transactions at a time you can use multiple select in the register and right click to get the context menu and categorize the transactions (note you can filter the register by the payee name by typing it in at the top right). Another maybe better way is to use Edit → Find and Replace.

#2 In general, if you have one payee and you are going to split into multiple categories, you are going to be doing this manually one way or another. Quicken has no idea of what you bought at a given store it just has the payee name. You can memorize a payee as a split, which might give you a start at the categorizes you might use at a given store, but it highly unlikely that they will be filled in correctly during downloading of transactions and will have to reviewed/fixed after the download.

We personally only use our Citi Costco Anywhere credit card at Costco and the payee name is "COSTCO WHSE" for in the store, and "COSTCO GAS" for the gas station, and "COSTCO *ANNUAL RENEWAL" for the membership, and I just memorized these to Groceries, Auto:Fuel, and Household. And if we make "special purchase" I will change the category after I download it, but not change the memorized payee/category.

The more detailed reporting of categories the more work you are going to have. There isn't any getting around that fact.

#3 You can't control how far back Quicken is going to fetch the transactions (it is typically 90 days) and once a given transaction is downloading into an account Quicken will not import it again. If you delete a transaction the only way to get it again is in a different account (by deactivating the old one and then activating the new one do the download, and then maybe switching back).

WARNING, Citibank/Quicken are in the process of changing over Citibank (banking, but not Citi Cards) connection type from Express Web Connect to Express Web Connect + and it isn't going well. And some people's Direct Connect/Citi Cards accounts are being affected when they shouldn't have.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jjrichards
    jjrichards Member ✭✭
    Options

Chris:

Thanks for your thoughts . Understand Quciken will make the best guess on category. My issue was that after the update I had years of categories selected for each transaction , and majority of them eliminated . Especially all the transactions at stores where I bought multiple products , ie Target , groceries , cleaning supplies

A one step update should not eliminate categories already selected on prior transactions .

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Oh, see. I missed the fact that what was happening is that you lost existing categorization.

The only recommendations I can suggest on that are, restore from a backup. And if you use Sync to Mobile/Web try turning it off to see if that makes a difference.

Signature:
  • jjrichards
    jjrichards Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Chris:

I was thinking of that. The back up I made to a flash drive is only two days older than the issue that happened with Citi.

The issue I am struggling with there were other bank account transactions that downloaded plus some from Citi yesterday. In the past I have found trying to export them right from the source , Citi, Chase , Etrade once they have been downloaded to Quicken you cannot redownload. To correct the account you need to create a "manual entry".

Do you know of a way just to restore just one account in this case Citi from a back up and leave all other accounts as is ?

Jeff

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@jjrichards nope, all none.

Signature:
  • Mike I.
    Mike I. Member ✭✭
    edited January 21
    Options

Yesterday I accepted the new Citi bank download process for both my CitiBank MilesAhead Savings account and my long term Citi AAdvantage Credit Card Account.

Good News is MilesAhead Savings had no issues

Bad News is Credit Card account downloaded 2 years worth of transactions. This can be fixed by Turning on FITID and SYNCID columns in your account display. Then sorting on FITID, you will see the duplicates came in with a new code vs. prior. You can double check this by looking at the SYNCID column and there should be numbers there with the duplicates transactions.

I would not wait long to fix this as the new ID below will cause confusion with the duplicates.

1/19/2024 NEW DOWNLOAD FITID - 240190001

1/18/2024 OLD DOWNLOAD FITID XXXX240180001. (XXXX are the last 4 digits of your credit card)

• jjrichards
    jjrichards Member ✭✭
    Options

Chris:

After I wrote you I was researching on line from another member ( pasted below) . This would be a little time consuming since do have a number of accounts. I do break down in property my car values, house , furniture etc. I would delete all accounts in A Temp folder I would create , except for Citi.

Yes, it's possible, but not super easy. Here's how I'd do it. Others may have alternate methods.

1. Make a backup of your current file. Put it in safe place. Then make a backup of that backup to be sure. :-:smile: 
    2. Get
      the old backup file and double click it. Quicken will ask if you want
      to restore. Click Restore This File. When Quicken asks where to put the
      restored file, make sure you give it a very different name from your
      regular file (eg. TEMP WORKING) and put it somewhere different (eg.
      Desktop).
    3. Working in the TEMP WORKING file (which is your old
      data containing the deleted account), DELETE every account except the
      old account you want to move to the current file. If you have many
      accounts, this is going to take a while.
    4. Once you have this file down to a single account, click menu File > Export > Quicken Transfer File (QXF)
    5. Now open your current data file. 
    6. Click menu File > Import > Quicken Windows File (QXF) and point the file dialog at the QXF file you saved in step 4.
    7. This will import the single old account into your current file.

Note that this should work fine for non-investment account. Investment accounts may not work as well.

• rmfindc
    rmfindc Member ✭✭
    Options

I have had a similar problem with CITI after the update. Not only did Quicken download Citi charges after reauthorization — it automatically Categorized all new transactions as [VENMO] — which of course, screwed up my VENMO account. Worse — old transactions that I had already audited and categorized were RENAMED as [VENMO] and cross-recorded in Venmo. I am attempting to correct everything and create a backup, but I'm terrified to update my accounts.

• jjrichards
    jjrichards Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried creating a duplicate file deleting every account except Citi Bank Credit card based on below instrutions. I placed it in a Temp folder . When I tried to perform the following on the " copied file" File > Export > Quicken Transfer File (QXF), then tried to open my " Current Data file " , by default it opened only my duplicate file missing all my data except Citi card transactions . I had of course two back -ups which I had to restore .

If anyone has recommendations that I can just restore my old Citi credit card categories and leave all other data on my accounts .

Thank you

This discussion has been closed.