New Gold and Silver Price Download

Options
Dennis Freeman
Dennis Freeman Member ✭✭
edited March 19 in Investing (Windows)

I have tracking this manually, so when this was announced I updated the symbols of gold and silver to XAUUSD, and XAGUSD respectively, but it doesn't seem to work. What am I doing wrong?

Denny

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20 Answer ✓
    Options

[edited again]

@mdeehl The correct symbols begin with ^ , as in ^XAUUSD and ^XAGUSD

Does that work for you?

It appears that historic prices are not available; hopefully the prices will update going forward.

(My previous version mentioned ^XAUTUSD, which is some sort of crypto.)

QWin Premier subscription
  • jcc75
    jcc75 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Great news, in the latest update for Quicken, they added the ability to automatically have the price of Gold and Silver updated as an investment in Quicken. Below is the note from the latest release notes:

"Enabled access to Gold and Silver price quotes, making it easier for customers to obtain this information using the symbols ^XAUUSD for Gold and ^XAGUSD for Silver, for example."

I just set it up and works great… no more having to manually enter the price of Gold!

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just to be clear on this, the symbols are ^XAUUSD for Gold and ^XAGUSD for Silver. Some users were having trouble with it not working because the did not include the ^ as part of the symbol.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The product release notes includes the ^ at the beginning of the symbol

• Dennis Freeman
    Dennis Freeman Member ✭✭
    Options

Who knows what I might have been able to achieve if I only knew how to read! Thanks so much for pointing out my error.

Denny

• mdeehl
    mdeehl Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I agree that the long expected update that allows Gold and Silver to be tracked in Quickens does not work. Quickens does not recognize the symbols XAUUSD and XAGUSD. I too track the spot gold and silver manually and I am very disappointed that the latest Quicken update suggested users can now easily track Gold and Silver. If anyone is successful in tracking these new symbols within Quicken, please provide incite.

• mdeehl
    mdeehl Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 20
    Options

Quicken Version Update R54.9, Enable access to Gold and Silver prices, quotes making it easier for customers to obtain this information using the symbols XAUUSD and XAGUSD suggests users can now track their Gold and Silver with this new update. However Quickens does not recognize the above symbols. If anyone can provide information to track Gold and Silver within Quickens with the latest updated version R54.9 would be greatly appreciated?

• Jim_Harman
    Options

@mdeehl did you enter the symbols with the ^, as in ^XAUUSD an ^XAGUSD?

That works for me. The Security Type is Crypto, which may only work with Premier and up.

• Jim_Harman
    edited January 20 Answer ✓
    Options

[edited again]

@mdeehl The correct symbols begin with ^ , as in ^XAUUSD and ^XAGUSD

Does that work for you?

It appears that historic prices are not available; hopefully the prices will update going forward.

(My previous version mentioned ^XAUTUSD, which is some sort of crypto.)

• mdeehl
    mdeehl Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Yes I did. Quicken does not recognize these symbols XAUUSD an XAGUSD to download.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

See my edited post above. The symbols must begin with the "^" character and have a T in the middle.

• Dennis Freeman
    Dennis Freeman Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Jim,

Entering the ^ symbol corrected the problem. It is working now as it should.

Thanks

Denny

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

in new release R54.9 - notice the "^" prefix -

What's New

• Enabled access to Gold and Silver price quotes,
      making it easier for customers to obtain this information using the symbols
      ^XAUUSD for Gold
      ^XAGUSD for Silver

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20
    Options

@Jim_Harman - the release notes don't have a "T" in them - is that a Quicken error -

The correct symbols appear to begin with ^ and have a T in them, as in ^XAUTUSD an ^XAGTUSD

No, earlier I said they needed the T in the middle but that is some sort of crypto.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mdeehl
    mdeehl Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the clarification. I was able to find the gold symbol ^XAUTUSD and the silver symbol was ^XAGUSD. (^XAGTUSD was not found).

Thank you!

• Dennis Freeman
    Dennis Freeman Member ✭✭
    Options

I found that the symbols for gold and silver both worked via lookup without the T in them, and connected with the Forex exchange.

Denny

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18
    Options

I'm wondering if there is anything unique about the R54.xx release to support these… or needing Deluxe vs Premiere - etc -

I am running R53.26 - and found GOLD (with the "T") via the Add Security - but didn't really find the other SILVER -

but these are the wrong symbols - and NOT the new ones offered with R54.9 - so…. something is changed within R54.9 -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Add Security in R54.9 shows a long list of tickers that begin with ^XA but R53.26 only has the ^XAU Cryptos.

So something has changed between the two releases.

• jcc75
    jcc75 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Great news, in the latest update for Quicken, they added the ability to automatically have the price of Gold and Silver updated as an investment in Quicken. Below is the note from the latest release notes:

"Enabled access to Gold and Silver price quotes, making it easier for customers to obtain this information using the symbols ^XAUUSD for Gold and ^XAGUSD for Silver, for example."

I just set it up and works great… no more having to manually enter the price of Gold!

• jcc75
    jcc75 Member ✭✭
    Options

^XAUUSD worked for me for Gold. Unfortunate, though, that the historical prices won't download… so I just entered those manually.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Just to be clear on this, the symbols are ^XAUUSD for Gold and ^XAGUSD for Silver. Some users were having trouble with it not working because the did not include the ^ as part of the symbol.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• pettijohn
    pettijohn Member
    Options

What kind of account needs to be created for tracking gold and silver? I currently am tracking these as Assets but I don't see a way to tie that to a ticker symbol. Where did I go wrong here?

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

create the Add Security - and then [x] for Watch List

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    edited January 24
    Options

What kind of account needs to be created for tracking gold and silver? I currently am tracking these as Assets but I don't see a way to tie that to a ticker symbol. Where did I go wrong here?

Set up an off-line Investing account and Buy the new securities, 1 share per ounce.

• Patrick Larkin
    Patrick Larkin Member ✭✭
    Options

How do I download historical prices for these? When I'm on the "Get Historical Prices" screen, ^XAUUSD and ^XAGUSD are not listed, despite my having added them to the Securities List with both 'Download' and 'Watch List' checked.

This discussion has been closed.