Memorized Payees and Quicken Updates

Options
gambit.xmn
gambit.xmn Member ✭✭

I prefer to have the option to NOT automatically memorize new payees. The box is unchecked as it should be, but at some point, Quicken decides it wants to memorize new payees again. It seems this occurs after some random update (not every update). This is a tremendous inconvenience and loss of productivity to keep deleting memorized payees then uncheck the box, only to have to do it all again next month.

Fix this please.

Comments

• gambit.xmn
    gambit.xmn Member ✭✭
    Options

In other words - how can I keep the Memorized Payee list permanently empty?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Have you tried unchecking these three settings?

• Josephine01!@
    Options

Is there a way to use the memorized payee list without having "complete fields using previous entries" checked as well? I was able to do this until about 4 weeks ago. I don't want to memorize everything I put in, just certain ones of my choosing. For example, Venmo can be many categories, so I don't want a certain category to be chosen for me.

• gambit.xmn
    gambit.xmn Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes I removed those options eons ago, which is my point…. I shouldn't have to remove them every single time Quicken updates. Secondly, even when the boxes are empty, transactions are still memorized. To fix it, I had to - delete all of the memorized transactions, check these boxes you mentioned, save, close the file, reboot, open the file, uncheck the boxes, save, close, and boot again.

It really shouldn't be this hard….

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For some strange reason, Quicken Inc recently thought that the changes they made to how this feature works was worth forcing it back on. Note they did state that in the "what's new" that pops up after the update.

And while I'm at it, I would like state something I see in this comment that might not be understood.

It seems like a lot of people misunderstand what these settings do:

These don't apply while downloading transactions, turning them off will not prevent Quicken from looking up payees in the memorized payee list and filling in the category if it finds a match. These settings are only for when you are manually entering the payee. And that includes "Complete field using previous entries".

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW so how does one control payee matching and auto categorization for downloaded transactions?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The first thing is that one has to be very clear on those terms. "auto categorization" means something different in different parts of the process.

Let's call these settings "last resort"/fully automatic:

If they are selected, then if no other part of the process selects the category/payee name, then Quicken is going to do it guessing.

For the rest of it, part of it is shown above "Use my existing renaming rules", that is "global" select/deselect, but not you can also have "Do-Not-Rename Rules" in the remaining rules dialog:

So, there is the global/individual control for that.

Past that one way to avoid categorization where Quicken looks up the payee in the memorized payee list, is pretty obvious, just don't have that payee in the memorized payee list. But because the memorized payee list is shared with "manually entered" where you type the payee into the transaction and it will select from the memorized payee list to fill out the rest of the transaction, there has to be a way to allow that, but block the doing it for downloaded transactions, and there is.

But if one is looking for a "global" turn off of matching the downloaded transaction payee to memorized payee, there isn't such a preference.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.