Reinstall Quicken 2020 R31.20 - "subscription had expired before this patch" message (edit)

Options
MikeOrlando02
MikeOrlando02 Member ✭✭

I recently replacement my laptop. I installed Quicken 2020 from my prior download and we able to get into my main data file and worked for a week. Today, I needed to get in our non-profits file and it came up with a window stating my subscription had expired before this patch was created.

I followed the link and read that I should have done an offline install and then manually installed the patch up to the point my subscription expired. I followed this process. When Quicken relaunched I saw my data for a brief second and this a screen with a white box:

At one point there was a logout link at the bottom and I clicked that and it gave me a popup about unassociating my data file from my Quicken account, which I agreed to as I do not use any online features.

I found another post and went through the steps. My file validates. I do not have any other signout options. I can get to the Intuit My Account page. I am not sure why this is not loading.

Answers

• MikeOrlando02
    MikeOrlando02 Member ✭✭
    Options

I should mention that this is Quicken 2020V R31.20 and built 27.1.31.20 after installing my eligible patch.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I ran into the same blank white screen issues a while ago when I reinstalled my Win11 Pro OS from scratch. My issue turned to be lack of any existence of "Microsoft .NET Runtime" on my system. Once I manually downloaded and installed it from Microsoft, all worked fine. FYI my version is "Microsoft .NET Runtime - 6.0.26". This may or may not be your issue but perhaps worth looking into it.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• MikeOrlando02
    MikeOrlando02 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the lead, I looked at the system requirements on the Quicken site and it says 4.6 or higher. I pulled up "Windows Features" and it shows I have .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 installed (4.8.09032). It looks like I should be good with .NET

Microsoft .NET 4.6.1 or higher (included in Quicken installer)

If anyone else needs to know how you check your .NET version, I opened a command prompt and entered "reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\full" /v version" (without the outermost quoted)

I feel like it is something I am missing from a more current patch. When I let Quicken install online and install the latest patch, I was able to get the login screen instead of the white box… but then back to the original "subscription had expired before this patch was created"

Thanks again for the idea!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Their process for installing/using an expired subscription has a major flaw to it.

Patch systems are designed to patch "forward", not "backwards".

As in going from R53.32 to R54.9 (forward) OK. Going from R54.9 to R53.32 (backwards) Iffy.

Backwards "not too far back" tends to work, but the farther back you go the less likely it will get things back to where they should be.

To really do this right you need to do this:

1. Uninstall Quicken.
    2. Remove the following folders (if they exist): "C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken", "C:\ProgramData\Quicken", "C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\Quicken"
    3. Get this version from my website, which as far as I know is the oldest possible Quicken Subscription version. https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/install-for-quicken-2018---subscription.html
    4. Disable the network or if on Wifi turn on Airplane mode. (the point is to prevent Quicken from updating to a higher version of Quicken, which it will do if not blocked).
    5. Install Quicken, and after the install quit it, don't start Quicken.
    6. Install patch that is before the date that your subscription expired.
    7. Run Quicken and open the data file and log in.

And I will also point out, that this can all be avoided by using a subscription that hasn't expired.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • MikeOrlando02
    MikeOrlando02 Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks, this makes great sense regarding using patches to rollback. I did not know about all the places Quicken hid files so thank you for the detail.

I actually have the original Quicken 2020 download burned to CD from my purchase in 2020, file version 4.0.100.1190. I have attempted to use that and then patch to the latest version I should have access to, QW27.1.31.20MPatch.EXE.

When I load my data file, I can see my data and then I get a popup for the login that does not load. If I exit this popup then I get the full page white screen that I had initially.

It seems the login is broken and must have been corrected in a later patch version so I feel stuck. I don't use any of the online features so I was content with the non-connected, desktop-only version.

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I'm guessing that after a full uninstall and clean install using the original purchased version you need to open your file before patching and get thru the authorization screen to a functional open data file. Then use the patch.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm sorry I have been chasing the wrong problem. I went ahead tried installing/registering the Quicken 2018 R2 version and sure enough it fails at the login screen too. This is just like how they messed up Quicken 2014 through 2017's login.

So, they are basically breaking their promise that you can keep accessing your data if the subscription has expired.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@MikeOrlando02 - do you have a current or expired subscription ?

check with … Help —> About Quicken

Or log into your account on quicken.com

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• MikeOrlando02
    MikeOrlando02 Member ✭✭
    edited January 26
    Options

@Chris_QPW That was my thought as well. Ps56k2, I did reach out to support and have not heard back yet. my subscription is expired, I am only looking to install the version and patches for the time period that I had paid for Quicken.

• MikeOrlando02
    MikeOrlando02 Member ✭✭
    Options

Today, when I opened Quicken it auto updated to the latest patch and now I am back to the message window stating my subscription had expired before this patch was created. I was able to call Quicken and their explanation was the data guarantee only applied to the computer Quicken was originally installed on and I would have to purchase a subscription… at least for one year in order to continue using on my new computer. Offered me -25% off.

I thought I had read something about transferring some files from an older PC to bypass this, unsure if that would work for me but I will look. Otherwise I would look for a updated Quicken version or coupon code online.

This discussion has been closed.