Windows Classic Deluxe replaced credit card

Options
EllenFR
EllenFR Member ✭✭

A new credit card was issued to Visa Costco Citi card. I had to register the new card with its new number. Quicken then downloads the entire history of costco citi card into the new card, which of course does not have any of my carefully entered categories for that length of time (more than a year). It also continued to show both cards' entries in the Banking transactions. This happened mid January. To correct Quicken, I decided to delete all transactions up to Dec. 31 backward in the newest card and delete the January dates from the older card's transactions. That way, I save my categories for 2023 and start anew in 2024 with the new card. I also had to bring forward the ending balance to the new card and error correct the ending balance to zero of the older one. This is the second time I have gone through entering a new Costco Visa card. There must be a better way! Besides, the online balance is now incorrect. It is off by over $3600, according to the total on the credit card website. ???

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, this is how I would have resolved having to change over to a new Visa Costco Citi card.

1. Ensure that all my transactions are reconciled. This is the normal state of my account.
    2. Deactivate the current account for downloading of transactions.
    3. Select the + on the Account Bar (or File → Add Account) and go through that process and make sure that I linked to the existing account. Note that since it is the same account, just with a different credit card number most likely the unique Ids that Quicken uses to check for duplicate transactions will be the same and you won't get duplicates. Also, note that Citi is going through a change in connection types for their bank accounts, but it is affecting the Visa Costco Citi card accounts that are setup as Direct Connect. See this post and the thread it is in:

4. If there are duplicates then there are a few ways to deal with them. My preferred way is dependent on the fact that I have Quicken set to put the downloaded transactions directly into the register. In this mode I have two clues/methods for finding the duplicates. I can sort on the Status (blue dot) column and that will put all the transactions with the status of New together. Making sure not to select any transactions that are really new, I select them and delete them. The same could be done with sorting by the CLR field since any transactions that aren't reconciled will now be together and easy to delete. Then I put the sorting back to Date. If using the Downloaded transactions tab, it should be similar where the transactions that are marked "New" are grouped together and you should be able to select and delete the ones that are duplicates.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • EllenFR
    EllenFR Member ✭✭
    Options

Well, it gets even more complicated. The "online" balance shows only the total of charges on the new card, not the total on the account. If only it was trying to put the new cards transactions into the previous card's list, I could have removed the blue dots and been ok, but it created an entirely new card but downloaded all of the old card's entries, as well as adding the newest entries into the canceled card, making duplicate entries. I guess that last bit was my bad because I hadn't deactivated it. As of now, I have deactivated the old card. Just wish it would give me a correct online total to reconcile to. I have had too many download errors to trust that my total is correct. (Hope their new way of handling the downloads will not miss entries like the other way did).

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The online balance that Quicken displays is what the financial institution sends with the transactions. It is of course supposed to be consistent with the transactions, but in some cases for some financial institutions it isn't.

If it is wrong you shouldn't reconcile to it, you should reconcile to a known good balance from your financial institution's website. You can switch back to "reconcile to statement" (which is to say to date and balance you put in) by going to the Account Details → Online Services tab and deselecting the reconcile to online balance at the bottom of the dialog.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.