QIF file doesn't include Date aquired for shares in or added / how would you start over?

Options
HaventGotAClue
HaventGotAClue Member ✭✭

I've been using quicken for decades.

I have a stupidly long list of assets that I haven't owned for years. Accounts that have ben closed years ago.

I'm looking to start a new quicken file with just the assets I have now. Some are a few years old.

I am thinking to create a QIF to import the purchase transactions. I chose to say I added the asset / stock. Not bought. then enter the current cash in the account.

But am I missing something? I am using this typical qif format:

!Type:Invst
D1/5'24
NShrsIn
YTQQQ
I45.8999
Q275
^

But if you import that qif, the date acquired is blank and there's no cost / basis for that transaction. I have to manually add the date aquired, which is the same as the transaction date (D).

Is there a way to have it enter date aquired? Or just enter these as Bought?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The easiest way to find out what the QIF format/Quicken can support is to enter a transaction like you want to import, and then export that. The QIF file will show you the syntax and what is possible.

!Type:Invst
    D1/22'24
    NShrsIn
    YPIMCO CORPORATE INCM OPPORTUNITY FUND
    I13
    Q1
    U13.00
    T13.00
    ^

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • HaventGotAClue
    HaventGotAClue Member ✭✭
    Options

Yeah, that's how I did it - created the transaction then exported the qif

importing that transaction above - does it 'lose' date aquired? (its a field to the right of share price, number of shares, etc.

And your cost for this is zero till you enter the date aquired?

• HaventGotAClue
    HaventGotAClue Member ✭✭
    Options

and the cost - I should say - the basis shows as zero.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Like said "The easiest way to find out what the QIF format/Quicken can support…" the point is that the QIF syntax doesn't support everything transaction type/value that Quicken uses. The QIF format was created and then basically abandoned in 2004. The "acquired date" is lost. You will find that it doesn't have any syntax for security lots either. When it deals with such it uses first in and first out. And as a result, it can't handle ESOs and other more complicated transactions.

As for the cost basis did you notice that you are missing two lines that are on mine?

Quicken will accept either or both the T or U lines for the cost basis.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • HaventGotAClue
    HaventGotAClue Member ✭✭
    Options

Thanks. For what it's worth, I wound up using bought rather than shares in.

Sounds like you know a lot about quicken.

a) remember Managing your money? I loved that app. But they didn't make the move to windows? or folded soon after?

b) would you think quicken should be faster? It takes fractions of or seconds to enter things. I'd think it'd be more responsive, especially now on much faster machines than in the past. And with a small / new database?

c) That said, there really isn't any alternative for windows, right? Remember when microsoft was going to buy quicken? and / or they had their own app? And Quicken beat them? Wild really. Not sure Microsoft lost to other software companies?

This discussion has been closed.