Add Ticker Symbol to Account Balances Report

Options
kratsmit
kratsmit Member ✭✭
edited February 24 in Reports (Windows)

Annually I have to report my investments that were over $1,000 to the federal government as part of my duties working for the DoD. In the past I simply used the Account Balances report, which once customized did a good job of showing what stocks and mutual funds fell under which managed account. The government has now added an extra layer of effort onto this task, asking for the ticker symbols for stocks and mutual funds. I don't see any way to add that to the Account Balances report, and if I simply run the Portfolio Value report it doesn't show me which account the stocks and mutual funds are under (which creates a problem in itself as it sums the stocks and mutual funds, making it appear that some have a value over $1,000). As I have numerous accounts that meet the reporting criteria, doing it manually is beyond burdensome. I would love to have the option to add ticker symbols displayed on the Account Balances report.

Comments

• bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you run the Portfolio Value report you can select to subtotal it by Account (at the top of the report). You could also then select to sort by Value. It will group your stocks/funds by account and sort them by the value (also at the top). Selecting to sort by value a second time will sort the report the opposite way (i.e., high to low rather than low to high).

Will this work for what you need?

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can give your securities any name you want, so you can give them names that include the ticker symbol. I have given them names that begin with the ticker symbol, like GE-General Electric.

QWin Premier subscription
  • kratsmit
    kratsmit Member ✭✭
    Options

bmciance - Thanks, that's helpful although there are some things that aren't investments (annuities, insurance, etc.) that don't show up on the Portfolio Value report. But this gets me down the road a long way TBH, thanks.

Jim_Harman - Thanks for that suggestion, which I've done with my stocks which are mostly static. But mutual funds are a moving target and would rather prefer to get my data from the system if possible via what's in the data tables vs. handjamming the symbols. If the above doesn't work for me in the long run will take this into consideration.

Thanks to you both for the good, quick suggestions.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

One way to do what you want I think would be to use an Investing > Portfolio view..

• Click on Customize and add the Ticker Symbol column and select whatever other columns you need.
    • Select the accounts you want to include and All securities.
    • Click OK to exit customization
    • On the main view, Group by Accounts
    • Set the As of date to whatever date you need.
    • Go to File > Print portfolio to print, or click on the Export button to copy to the clipboard or export to Excel for further formatting.

QWin Premier subscription
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The Investing tab Allocations has an allocation by security chart that can be opened as a report. That would do the security subtotaling for you.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• kratsmit
    kratsmit Member ✭✭
    Options

Jim_Harman - thanks for the additional suggestion, will consider using your first one next year when I get to do this all again.

mshiggins - thanks for that suggestion, but it doesn't show the security's values by account which is needed.

I greatly appreciate everyone's ideas on how to skin this cat, seems like I have many options. THANKS!

This discussion has been closed.