Rental Mortgage Payments / Liability account

Options

In my rental property bank account I am entering the monthly mortgage payment as a split transaction to track interest expense separate from principle. I have the rental mortgage liability account linked (I think) under my rental property. How do I get the payments to auto reduce my liability mortgage account principle? NOTE - I am unable to auto download for the liability/mortgage account. I setup that account manually.

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So you're entering a split mortgage payment - some amount of interest, some amount of principal - but the liability on your balance sheet isn't being affected? It sounds to me like you might be using a Category here, something like "Loan Payment:Principal" as opposed to a Transfer [Name of Mortgage Account].

Is that the issue?

• ts11rtrd
    ts11rtrd Member
    Options

I am having a similar problem with my mortgage account and with a car loan. There are the same entries, some amount of principal and some amount of interest but Quicken only recognizes the gross amount of the payment and as a result, doesn't reduce the loan amount accordingly.

What may I be doing wrong???

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Cmack @ts11rtrd

Please post a picture of your splits.

Absent some sort of Quicken bug or some other error an entry that is properly shown as a transfer to a loan Account should reduce the loan's balance. If you're making entries that aren't accomplishing that then my first guess is "user error" in that you're using a Category instead of the Account name surrounded by square brackets [NAME]. If you use a Category then you should be seeing that portion of the entry in a Spending report.

This discussion has been closed.