Hidden Transaction in Transaction report for ALL transactions

Options
Janice M McDonald
Janice M McDonald Member
edited February 24 in Reports (Mac)

Using Quicken Classic Premier - Version 7.6.2. First I have been a Quicken user for over 15 years so I don't have many issues. I was running a Payee Transaction report for 2013 to January 2024 looking for a specific payee. I checked all payees. The firm I was looking for was marked HIDDEN in the payee list. I understand the logic for hiding a payee but why won't a hidden payee show in a Transaction Report when searching ALL payees. It seems to me that they should appear. If this is the case that they won't, I would then have to search my payee list for the name and then unhide it, the option to hide it should be removed. I may use a hotel or restaurant or store only once when on vacation and know I will never use it again - hence I hide it. But if someone asks me where I stayed, I would normally run a report searching on VACATION: Lodging thinking it would show up. May be a box to check that say "INCLUDE HIDDEN PAYEES" could be added.

Thank you.

J. M McDonald

Tagged:

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 24
    Options

I cannot replicate this. Hidden payees show up for me when other report parameters are set correctly.

When you set up the report, in the Payees panel, there are two options:

1. Include transactions with any or no payee. This will include hidden payees as long as not excluded by some other report customization.
    2. Include only transactions with selected payees. If you hit the Select All button, you will be including all payees.

But… there is a checkbox at the bottom to "Include hidden payees". If this box is not checked, hidden payees will be excluded.

Also, make sure you're not using the Payee Summary or Category Summary reports in the Other reports group. These are old deprecated reports that are know to produce errors.

Finally, for you use case example, there's probably an easier way than generating a report: Go to the All Transactions register (which includes both hidden and non hidden accounts) and click the magnifying glass in the search box. Choose Category from the list of fields, then enter VACATION in the search box. Sort the register by date or payee (click the column header), then scan the filtered list of transactions for the info you're seeking.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Janice M McDonald What you're asking for already exists, if I'm understanding you correctly.

When you mark a Payee hidden, it prevents that Payee name from coming up in the list of potential Payees name matches as you enter a transaction.

When you mark a Payee hidden, it does not affect any existing transactions for that Payee in your registers.

When you do a Payee report, and go to Edit > Payees, there is a checkbox for including or not including hidden Payees:

I've just did a quick test and observed that the checkbox does exactly what it says: when checked, a hidden Payee appears in a report; when unchecked, the hidden Payee disappears from the report. I think that's what you were asking for. Perhaps you just missed seeing this checkbox on the Payees tab of the report setup?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.