Quicken and PNC- Not Proving

Options
klrizz
klrizz Member ✭✭

I've been having this issue since the last update to Quicken.

My PNC Checking account is showing all the right entries, matching my bank account, in Quicken. However, the numbers for balances are not matching. The Online Balance matches, but the "End Balance" does not.

There are no outstanding transactions. No pending transactions. I have done the following: *checked for further updates
*validated and repaired the file
*deleted every entry before Jan 01 2024 and redid entries one at a time with bank statements, then downloaded/synced with PNC.
*Tried two different backup files from times before the error began, added entries manually, and attempted to reconcile.

It's still off. And if I put a balance adjustment in, that actually ended up making it MORE off than before.

Any suggestions? All of my other accounts are fine, it's only my PNC Checking.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"The Online Balance matches"

I assume that "the online balance" matches mean that the online balance picked up by "today's" download into Quicken matches the number in the Register's "Balance" column as of "today" and the "Current Balance" shown below the Register?

If that's correct then I'll point out that those two number certainly don't have to agree, and frequently don't. Today, after today's download into Quicken, my bank Account's "Online Balance" is $2,398.36 while the "Current Balance" is $2,340.30. The difference between the two numbers is due to a check written several days ago that hasn't yet cleared.

In an active bank account those numbers are frequently different and about the only way I can think of for getting those numbers to always agree is if you never make manual entries but instead rely entirely on "downloads" to enter transactions in the register. Is that your situation?

"but the "End Balance" does not. "

I'm not sure what you're referring to here; is it the "Ending Balance" figure shown below the Account's Register?

I'd never expect that the Online Balance and the Ending Balance would ever agree since the Ending Balance included future-dated transactions, unless you never make manual entries and only let transactions cleared from the bank into your file via downloads.

So if your situation is that you don't make manual entries, relying only on downloads of cleared transactions into the file, then I have to agree that having the Online Balance agree to the Current Balance but not the Ending Balance is a problem. It would seem that making a manual adjusting entry as of "today" could get the Online Balance to agree to the Ending Balance, but would then throw the Current Balance off by the same amount, and your statement that that the (Quicken suggested?) adjustment threw It (whatever "it" is) further off does suggest some data corruption of some sort, maybe something that Validation can't fix.

If you think that it's the update itself that's the problem here then you could revert to the previous version by downloading that mondo version and "updating" Quicken.

• klrizz
    klrizz Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

I've always been hyper vigilant with entries, and have never had this issue in all the years I've been using Quicken. (Deluxe, Windows 11)

I don't know if it's easier to say that my Statement Balance is lower than my Cleared Balance?
    On the bottom of my register screen, I have "Online Balance", "Current Balance" and "End Balance".
    The "Online Balance" always has matched my "Current Balance" up until this point- with download reconciliation and manual entries, and then I will use "Ending Balance" for my projected available funds, because that will consider in the uncleared items/pending items.

Right now, I have no pending transactions, no checks that haven't cleared or outstanding monies. In two of my three attempts, I went strictly by downloaded files only, no manual entry, to even make sure I had not mistyped something, and the "Online Balance" was still not matching the "Current Balance" in the register, by over $250.

I'm not on my desktop at the moment, but will provide screenshots later.

This discussion has been closed.