Won't load unless connected to Internet

Options
Dropsy
Dropsy Member

AFAIK I'm not running the "web" version. It's installed on my local Windows 10 PC. Yes, I have to pay every year for updates, etc. So the stand-alone program won't load if not connected to the internet. That is not satisfactory for a few reasons.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

According to one of Quicken's FAQs you do need internet for the set up and Quicken will periodically try to connect to verify your copy of the program is still good, but otherwise you should be able to use it offline.

******************************************************************************************

Is Quicken a web-based product?  Do I need an internet connection to use it? 
    Like previous versions of Quicken, the Quicken Subscription product is
    installed on your local computer system; Quicken is not hosted on the
    cloud.  You'll use the internet to access and download your online
    banking transactions.  You'll also need access to the internet to
    activate your Quicken product and to receive the latest product
    updates.  After you activate your product, you can enter transactions
    manually, offline.

******************************************************************************************

For a similar question that I found in here another user said that you had to disable your network card to get this to work but I have no idea if that's needed or not.

• BTBT
    BTBT Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello Dropsy,

Interesting. So when you are connected to the internet you are able to launch Quicken no problems? It is only when you disconnect all of your connections to the internet that Quicken doesn't load? Is this 100% reproducible or only happen sporadically? What is the software version that you are on and when is your membership good till (you can find it in Help→About Quicken)? I just disconnected my system from the internet and loaded Quicken just fine. I am on Version R54.9 Build 27.1.54.9.

Is your system never connected to the internet or just some times you have no connection? My understanding is that you need to connect to initially install the software and get your license, but after that you don't need an internet connection until you need to get the new license.

How far into the loading process does it get? Is there a splash screen or something?

Cheers,

BT

This discussion has been closed.