Near Match Errors Every Day

Options
jrgator
jrgator Member ✭✭
edited February 27 in Investing (Windows)

A couple of months ago I started to receive "Near Match" after downloading TIAA 401k account transactions. I have to "Edit" the transaction and click "Unmatch".
For years I've never received this and now it's constant…every day. I've Validated and Super Validated with no help.

I searched "Near Match Errors" on this website and found a discussion from 2023 but it says it's closed and it doesn't say how the issue was resolved.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Usually a "Near Match" occurs when there is an uncleared transaction in the account's transaction list (register) and a downloaded transaction closely matches it. I see this for example when the amounts are the same but the dates do not match. If I edit the date in the transaction in the list to match the date in the download, it changes to Match.

Is this what you are seeing, or is it something different?

QWin Premier subscription
  • jrgator
    jrgator Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes…pretty much. What you described is closer to "Match". The same amount but the date may be off by one day.
    I've seen Near Match off by a month. Same amount as last months transaction so it changes it to Match if I click Accept and now the account has wrong info. Doesn't download and include the latest transaction.

My problem is that every "Near Match" that I've received should be "New". If I don't notice after a download that it says "Near Match" instead of "New" and I click Accept All, I'm screwed. The next screen I get is a pop-up saying that Quicken says this for these 15 accounts but the website for the institution says something else. Now I have to spend the next 20 minutes adding each of the transactions manually to correct the non-download error. Another option is to Restore and download again and this time change Near Match to Unmatch which changes all of the transactions to New.

I like the "Match" feature. I HATE the "Near Match" feature. Any way to turn it off?

PS: Thanks for the quick response.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

My first recommendation is to not do an Accept all unless you are certain that all the transactions are correct. Usually you should review each downloaded transaction before accepting it.

That said, I don't think Quicken should make a "Near Match" to transactions that are a month away. Are the transactions that are proposed as near matches ones that you have already accepted, i.e. they are marked as Cleared itn the transaction list?

QWin Premier subscription
  • jrgator
    jrgator Member ✭✭
    Options

I use Quicken to update all of my accounts and have 4 files that include my children's accounts.

I update these files EVERY day. So yes…they are already accepted and marked as cleared.

I've had Quicken since 1995 and some of my accounts go back that far. I have never had a problem with Near Match until the last few months.

When I download account transactions, many times there are multiple sub-accounts (as many as 18 in one of my TIAA accounts) that are updated. With a "Near Match" for all 18, I have to select that line, click on "Edit" and then "Unmatch" for all 18 lines. It gets old doing that every day since I've never had to do it before. As I said, I've Validated and Super Validated these files with no help.

I just need a way to turn off Near Match.

This discussion has been closed.